Can SSIS do this ?

• Hi

I am working on a project that involves reading a log file into a SQL table.

The transformation itself will involve the data being modified b4 being inserted. In some instances the next line in the log file will have text belonging to a field from the previous line.

The solution will be shipped to 3rd party Servers / Applications.

First question - Is it possible to create a package that accepts a variable as the source. There are many log files that can be candidates for the package to upload to the database. Im thinking Global variables or using FSO to move log file contents to a package defined file prior to execution.

Second question - Im presuming the package is executing line by line so I dont have any references to the previous line if I need to put the contents of one line into the previous line. How can I do this?

Third question - Im calling the package from a Classis Asp page. What is the syntax for this?

Last question - does my development SQL Server need any software to execute a SSIS package. Does a ThirdParty SQL Server need any software. Do I need to register the package on 3rd party SQL / Application servers.

Thanks for your help in the architecture of this project. If I know Im going in the right direction.........

• 1. You can use variables in SSIS , and can also assign values to it from your asp code. This article might help you :

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms140216.aspx

You can use "for each loop" in the control flow to iterate over the files in a folder and read them one by one.

2. It is true that SSIS will read the file line by line , however you can read the previous line by storing the content in a static variable in the data flow. Use script component for this.

3. You can execute the packages through utilities like DTexec.

This article might help you

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2921107&SiteID=17

4.for executing the package , the serive ... sql server integration service must be running on that machine.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply