Can Sql 2008 and 2005 exist on the same machine?

• Must sql instances all be the same version?

I installed Sql 2008 as a named instance on a Win2008 member server with Sql 2005 already there as the default. I am rehearsing upgrade scenarios.

It failed in the following way. There were no services created for the new instance so there is no way to start 2008 or connect to it. Shouldn't there be new services created that point to the named instance binn directory?

Will this work or do I have to upgrade in place to get from 2005 to 2008? What are my options?

• Yep, sure it works. I've got both on my laptop right now.

I am no admin, but the only "trick" that I know of is to make sure that you only have one install/instance(no matter what the version) as the Default instance (i.e. without an instance name). Trying to do that *might* have the effect that you are seeing.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• I'm running 2000, 2005, 2008, Compact and three different versions of Express, all on the same desktop. Luckily I'm only accessing one or two a time or the machine would be crawling, but it's sure possible to run multiple versions.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Can you gentlemen confirm that you have multiple sets of services to start these different versions?

• Yep, absolutely. Every one is running a different instance. You can't have them share an instance. Each is a different code base showing different versions from @@Version.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Thanks! I reinstalled 2008 and it turned out OK. Don't know why it failed the first time.:-)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply