Can Sproc return values be used in a query (update

• Hi:

This may be a reach, but here goes:

I have a stored procedure that returns a list of values as an output parameter:

@strLicenseSNHistory = 'SN1, SN2, SN3'

Can I use that stored procedure in a correlated query, specifically to update a field with the value of the output parameter?

Something like the following SELECT query

SELECT T1.Serial_No,

(SET @strLicenseSNHistory = EXEC LicenseSNHistory

@strSN = T1.Serial_No,@strLicenseSNHistory = @strLicenseSNHistory OUTPUT)

FROM AccountLicenseDetail AS T1

This is probably something better done using User-Defined Functions, but I only have access to SQL 7.0 for now. I believe that UDFs are only available in SQL 2000.

A related question:

Can I use a correleted query to provide a Stored Procedure with input values? Or do I have to handle that on a row by row basis, whether through SQL cursors or ADO?

Thanks for your time.

JK

• You can mix varible setting with select output at the same time.

You can

SELECT @var = colx FROM tblx

Or

SELECT colx FROM tblx

but not

SELECT colx, @var = colx FROM tblx

nor can you do a select with a call to an sp in it, must be UDF.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• quote:

Hi:

This may be a reach, but here goes:

I have a stored procedure that returns a list of values as an output parameter:

@strLicenseSNHistory = 'SN1, SN2, SN3'

Can I use that stored procedure in a correlated query, specifically to update a field with the value of the output parameter?

Something like the following SELECT query

SELECT T1.Serial_No,

(SET @strLicenseSNHistory = EXEC LicenseSNHistory

@strSN = T1.Serial_No,@strLicenseSNHistory = @strLicenseSNHistory OUTPUT)

FROM AccountLicenseDetail AS T1

This is probably something better done using User-Defined Functions, but I only have access to SQL 7.0 for now. I believe that UDFs are only available in SQL 2000.

A related question:

Can I use a correleted query to provide a Stored Procedure with input values? Or do I have to handle that on a row by row basis, whether through SQL cursors or ADO?

Thanks for your time.

JK

• Epol if I understand you right then thru a cursor or While loop. You cannot use call a procedure in a SELECT statement.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply