Can not create/alter/design table via SSMS database Designer

• I have SSMS 2008 (version - 10.0.2531.0)

Back end Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP1) - 10.0.2723.0 (X64)

I have DB_ddlAdmin role on a database

I can create/alter a table via sql script.

In the SSMS Database Designer (SS Management Studio GUI), When I right click on the database >> Tables and select New Table I get the following error.

"You are not logged in as Database Owner or System Administrator. You might be able to save chnages..."

Then i get a screen where SSMS asks me to enter column names. When I enter column names and when I click on Save I get "Not a Table Owner" error. The table does get created but after that i can not alter it via Database designer (I can alter it via a alter SQL).

So Long story short, I can create tabels via DDL sql but not via the SSMS database designer. This from a technical view point might not be a big deal but for a business person not knowing SQL syntax will be a critical issue.

Can someone please shed light on this issue. Thank you very much for your time.

• It looks like Microsoft has been aware of this issue for awhile...

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/467582/db-ddladmin-role-doesnt-allow-use-of-design-functions-in-ssms]

Brian

Brian Kukowski
  • Brain,

Thanks for your reply. That link points back to 06/2009. Hard to belive that it is still an outstanding issue with SQL Server 2008 SSMS. Hope some one can point me to a fix (a KB patch) that would fix this behavior.

Thanks again for your input

Deepak

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply