Can not change the password of user SA

• I have changed the passowrd of user sa from visula managent studio.After that cannot change the password of any user by visual management studio . when i click the properties of user name its giving the error message " user sa login failed " . Revert if you need more information .

Then i have chagned the password of user sa to old password from T-sql statement.After that its allowing to view the properties of any user . what cuould be the reason for this problem ?

Configuration Details : Sql server 2005 Clustering Standard Edition.

Thanks in Advance.

• Interesting to read this and I did some testing on this.

1. I logged in with my Windows Domain login having SYSADMIN, changed sa password and click other logins and could change their password with no problem;

2. I logged in as SA, then changed SA password, and then tried to change other logins' passwords, and it popped up errors as you got.

My thinking is that when the password is changed for the account you are using to connect for that session, You could do nothing to the database (because THAT SESSION is trying to connect to the database with OLD password). I even tried to open a new query window and it didn't allow me to after I changed the SA password.

Basically, you have to disconnect that session and then reconnect to the server with your new password to start another session and then you can do whatever the SA can do.

• This is accurate. If you login with 'sa', and then change the password - you must disconnect that session and login again with the new password

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• thnks for your testing and reply ...:)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply