Can I load data into txt file with out vallidating the data and without data truncation.

• Am trying to extract data from DB2 and load into different text files,I get the following error "The data conversion for column 'Patient_Name' returned status value 4". There could be some odd character sitting in the data am trying to retrieve from DB2,but the data is more than 1 million rows in each text file and i do not have time to look through each row to find out that odd character.My Question is Does SSIS have any setting to not validate the the source data, I mean just load the data into text file with out validating the data.Or any other suggestion...Very urgent please

• You could create some very wide Unicode (DT_WSTR) columns to reduce the risk of a truncation error or non-ASCII characters causing problems. You'll still have data truncation or component failure (depending on your settings) if you exceed the maximum number of characters - I think it's 4000 characters per field.

<preaching>Of course, you should do some validation once you've imported the data. Just because it successfully imports into your table doesn't mean it's usable information.</preaching>

hth,

Tim

Tim Mitchell, Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Data Warehouse and ETL Consultant
    TimMitchell.net | @Tim_Mitchell | Tyleris.com
    ETL Best Practices

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply