Can I INSERT FROM a table in one database to a table on a linked server?

• I've written a query which works fine across databases locally which takes the content of some holding tables and copies the data into a live table. The live table contains an identity column which is set to auto increment.

The problem lies in that when I try and do the same across linked servers an error is thrown telling me that I haven't specified the correct number of column values

This is because I don't include the identity column in the select list for the INSERT INTO statement - if I try to add a value for that column (such as 0) the server tells me that I don't have permission to write to that column on the linked server table.

INSERT INTO [servername].DocumentHeader_Live.dbo.Table

SELECT

-- ID, column not needed as ID should be auto increment - but doesn't work with or without it!

Column1,

Column2

FROM DocumentHeader_Holding

give me

Msg 213, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Insert Error: Column name or number of supplied values does not match table definition.

If I add the ID column I get

Msg 7344, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

The OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "wxp-a66837" could not INSERT INTO table "[wxp-a66837].[EliorCybiz].[dbo].[AvTransactionsUM]" because of column "TransactionID". The user did not have permission to write to the column.

How do I INSERT INTO a linked server table from a database table on my server?

Thanks in advance!

• Oh I always do that, figure it out 2 seconds after I post - I included the column list and it worked! 😛

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply