Can I hint a join order or can I hint the first index seek ?

• Hi,

I have a query that is not performing well. The execution plans starts with an index seek on the transaction table (VENDTRANSOPEN). It reads and returns 90 000 rows to the next operator. It would be much more effective if the execution plan would start with the base table (VENDTABLE) with the PARTY predicate.

I would believe that the issue is the join order and the solution is rewriting the query. However, I would prefer putting a solution on the SQL side if possible. If it possible to hint the optimizer to start with the PARTY predicate ?

SELECT *
    FROM VENDTRANSOPEN T1
    CROSS JOIN VENDTRANS T2
    CROSS JOIN VENDTABLE T3
    LEFT OUTER JOIN DIMENSIONATTRIBUTEVALUECOMBINATION T4 ON (
            (T4.PARTITION = 5637144576)
            AND (
                (T1.CASHDISCOUNTLEDGERDIMENSION = T4.RECID)
                AND (T1.CASHDISCOUNTLEDGERDIMENSION = T4.RECID)
                )
            )
    LEFT OUTER JOIN HCMWORKER T5 ON (
            (T5.PARTITION = 5637144576)
            AND (
                (T2.APPROVER = T5.RECID)
                AND (T2.APPROVER = T5.RECID)
                )
            )
    LEFT OUTER JOIN LOGISTICSLOCATION T6 ON (
            (T6.PARTITION = 5637144576)
            AND (
                (T2.REMITTANCELOCATION = T6.RECID)
                AND (T2.REMITTANCELOCATION = T6.RECID)
                )
            )
    CROSS JOIN VENDTABLE T7
    WHERE (
            (T1.PARTITION = 5637144576)
            AND (T1.DATAAREAID IN ('MATT'))
            )
        AND (
            (T2.PARTITION = 5637144576)
            AND (
                (
                    (T2.PROMISSORYNOTESTATUS = @P1)
                    OR (T2.PROMISSORYNOTESTATUS = @P2)
                    )
                AND (
                    T1.REFRECID = T2.RECID
                    AND (T1.DATAAREAID = T2.DATAAREAID)
                    AND (T1.PARTITION = T2.PARTITION)
                    )
                )
            )
        AND (
            (
                (T3.PARTITION = 5637144576)
                AND (T3.DATAAREAID IN ('MATT'))
                )
            AND (
                T1.ACCOUNTNUM = T3.ACCOUNTNUM
                AND (T1.DATAAREAID = T3.DATAAREAID)
                AND (T1.PARTITION = T3.PARTITION)
                )
            )
        AND (
            (
                (T7.PARTITION = 5637144576)
                AND (T7.DATAAREAID IN ('MATT'))
                )
            AND (
                (T7.PARTY = @P3)
                AND (
                    T2.ACCOUNTNUM = T7.ACCOUNTNUM
                    AND (T2.DATAAREAID = T7.DATAAREAID)
                    AND (T2.PARTITION = T7.PARTITION)
                    )
                )
            )
    ORDER BY T1.REFRECID
    OPTION (FAST 9)

Thank you

• SQL Optimizer generates a good execution plan if I do T6.PARTITION = 0. Once the plan is in cache, I run the query with T1.PARTITION = 5637144576 and it is fast.

What would be the correct approach to ensure SQL generates the correct plan when I use T1.PARTITION = 5637144576 ?

• -- Write your query the simplest way BEFORE attempting to optimise.
    -- Don't use SELECT *, attempts at optimisation will most likely fail
    -- because ordinary indexes usually consist of a subset of columns in the table:
    -- change this to a column list
    SELECT *
    FROM VENDTRANSOPEN T1
    INNER JOIN VENDTRANS T2
     ON T1.REFRECID = T2.RECID
     AND T1.DATAAREAID = T2.DATAAREAID
     AND T1.PARTITION = T2.PARTITION
    INNER JOIN VENDTABLE T3
     ON T1.ACCOUNTNUM = T3.ACCOUNTNUM
     AND T1.DATAAREAID = T3.DATAAREAID
     AND T1.PARTITION = T3.PARTITION
    LEFT OUTER JOIN DIMENSIONATTRIBUTEVALUECOMBINATION T4
     ON T4.PARTITION = T1.PARTITION
     AND T1.CASHDISCOUNTLEDGERDIMENSION = T4.RECID
    LEFT OUTER JOIN HCMWORKER T5
     ON T5.PARTITION = T2.PARTITION
        AND T2.APPROVER = T5.RECIDLEFT OUTER JOIN LOGISTICSLOCATION T6
     ON T6.PARTITION = T2.PARTITION
     AND T2.REMITTANCELOCATION = T6.RECID

INNER JOIN VENDTABLE T7
     ON T2.ACCOUNTNUM = T7.ACCOUNTNUM
        AND T2.DATAAREAID = T7.DATAAREAID
        AND T2.PARTITION = T7.PARTITION
    WHERE T1.PARTITION = 5637144576
     AND T1.DATAAREAID IN ('MATT')
        AND (T2.PROMISSORYNOTESTATUS = @P1 OR T2.PROMISSORYNOTESTATUS = @P2)
        AND T7.PARTY = @P3
     -- These filters are enforced by JOINs, no need to repeat them here
        --AND T2.PARTITION = 5637144576
        --AND T3.PARTITION = 5637144576
     --AND T3.DATAAREAID IN ('MATT')
     --AND T7.PARTITION = 5637144576
     --AND T7.DATAAREAID IN ('MATT')
    ORDER BY T1.REFRECID
    -- Get the query working properly before decorating it
    --OPTION (FAST 9)
    “Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Gamleur84 - Tuesday, March 12, 2019 12:06 AM

SQL Optimizer generates a good execution plan if I do T6.PARTITION = 0. Once the plan is in cache, I run the query with T1.PARTITION = 5637144576 and it is fast.

What would be the correct approach to ensure SQL generates the correct plan when I use T1.PARTITION = 5637144576 ?

That sounds like a statistics distribution problem. Look up the values in the statistics of the index to see why you're getting different suggestions. If these were parameters instead of hard coded values, you could use the OPTIMIZE FOR hint to have it use T6.PARTITION=0 as the compile value. It's possible a simple statistics update could help.

By the way, this:
    OPTION (FAST 9)

Is absolutely going to affect the plan produced. The optimizer will favor loops joins over other joins that more likely to perform better overall. I'd strongly suggest testing without that hint.

Just so we're really clear, query hints are not hints. They are absolute commandments to the optimizer. You will be taking away optimizer choices. Sometimes, this is necessary, but it's EXTREMELY rare (except in the case of bad parameter sniffing). I absolutely lean towards never using hints until I've exhausted other options (again, except in the case of bad parameter sniffing, although there, with 2016+ and Azure SQL Database, I'm leaning on Query Store to solve a lot more of those problems).

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Thank you for the help. I am always amazed by the skills on this forum. 

The reason of poor performance was due to OPTION (FAST 9).

The query is automatically constructed by the application based on X++ language. It means that all those joins were not explicitly written but rather generated by the application. Making a modification to the code means I would need to go to the vendor (Microsoft) or a third party vendor. For that reasons, it is always preferable for me to find a solution in SQL like a missing index or statistics. 

In this case, it seems the developer put the FAST hint and that would cause SQL to generates a bad execution plan. In my opinion, the solution is to fix the code since I would like to avoid forcing a plan to the query.

I am also disappointed that I totally omitted the hint during my analysis and focused too much on statistics. Live in learn I guess !

Thank you

• Gamleur84 - Tuesday, March 12, 2019 10:52 PM

Thank you for the help. I am always amazed by the skills on this forum. 

The reason of poor performance was due to OPTION (FAST 9).

The query is automatically constructed by the application based on X++ language. It means that all those joins were not explicitly written but rather generated by the application. Making a modification to the code means I would need to go to the vendor (Microsoft) or a third party vendor. For that reasons, it is always preferable for me to find a solution in SQL like a missing index or statistics. 

In this case, it seems the developer put the FAST hint and that would cause SQL to generates a bad execution plan. In my opinion, the solution is to fix the code since I would like to avoid forcing a plan to the query.

I am also disappointed that I totally omitted the hint during my analysis and focused too much on statistics. Live in learn I guess !

Thank you

Thanks for reporting back what worked. Frequently we don't get that, so it's appreciated when we do. Not only do we know what the solution was, but others who find this thread will know what fixed the issue in the event that they're hitting it too.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply