Can I develop SSIS in 2008 but deployed to SQL Server 2005

• All,

Here's the situation. Our company merged with another company so now we have similar products. We are phasing out the products from my company which used Informix as a backend database. I'm on a new migration team. Our first assignment was to get data from the Informix system in an XML format since one of the new products already had an import that read XML. We wrote this in VS 2008 using C#, multi-threaded, and using Linq to Datasets.

Now Phase 2 comes along. We have 3 target systems as our new products. All use a SQL Server 2005 database. The difference in the products is the scalability to clients.

Product 1: 1 -3 doctor practice

Product 2: 1 - 25 doctor practice

Product 3: 25+ doctor practice (Enterprise level)

So we want to write a migration tool to get the data from the Informix backend and then depending on the target system we send the data there.

The Proof of concept I'm starting to write will be using a C# GUI which would call an SSIS package. This SSIS package would call web services to get data from the Informix back end. Then it would transform this data if it needs to and call another web service to the appropriate target system. The GUI would configure the source URL and target URL where the web service is located.

I started to write my POC using VS 2008 C#, and SSIS but was told I needed to use VS 2005 with SSIS 2005 because we can't install SQL Server 2008 on the system this migration tool will run from. It needs to be SQL Server 2005 like our targets.

The problems are SSIS only has VB script tasks if I need them

Plus if I need to call any C# library's these would be written in C# 2008 to use new features like LINQ.

Can I build my app in C# 2008 and SSIS 2008 and deploy it on a client system which has SQL Server 2005. Or will it require me to install SQL Server 2008?

• So we want to write a migration tool to get the data from the Informix backend and then depending on the target system we send the data there.

The Proof of concept I'm starting to write will be using a C# GUI which would call an SSIS package. This SSIS package would call web services to get data from the Informix back end. Then it would transform this data if it needs to and call another web service to the appropriate target system. The GUI would configure the source URL and target URL where the web service is located.

To move data from Informix you can write SSIS 2005 package without .NET code and consume it in your Web Service through the SQL Server Agent, so instead of the SSIS package calling the Web Service it is the Web service that should consume your SSIS packages.

Can I build my app in C# 2008 and SSIS 2008 and deploy it on a client system which has SQL Server 2005. Or will it require me to install SQL Server 2008?

The short answer is no however 2008 can consume 2005 packages.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• i had a similar problem today

wanted to be cool and installed SQL 2008 tools on my laptop and other workstations. tried to upload a package to a SQL 2005 server and it didn't work. so now i'm rerolling my VMWare image PC to install SQL 2005 tools on it

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply