Can I back out a CU (hotfix) update to prior version[s]?

• I have installed SP CU6, can I revert back to 9.00.4230 (SP3) from CU6 install?

How do I this short of re-installing SQL Server 2005 (EE) entirely?

Thanks,

Zee (Atlanta)

• Generally speaking, no you can't, this has been a thorn in the SQL DBA's side for a while. Why exactly do you want to go backwards in patches? Is there a specific problem that you are having associated with having the CU installed now?

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
    My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
    Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
    Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs[/url]

• I'm going through Security audit now (outside vendor) and we've discussed best practices for SS from Security hardness standpoint.

I was just curious if you do install a full CU, and you realize it wasn't really needed. Probably best to to insure you really need hotfixes before you proceed to updating a SS instance.

Just thinking out loud. Any thoughts on my thoughts?

Zee

• You can uninstall CU 6 for SP3 by going into Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, check the "show updates" box at the top, find hotfix 4266 listed under Microsoft SQL Server 2005 and click the remove button. You may have to reboot.

• Edogg (12/16/2009)

You can uninstall CU 6 for SP3 by going into Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, check the "show updates" box at the top, find hotfix 4266 listed under Microsoft SQL Server 2005 and click the remove button. You may have to reboot.

Its documented in the CU Release notes:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974648/en-us

I didn't realize that.

However, I would really question why you'd remove something that you've already applied if it isn't posing a specific problem after being installed. Let's say it doesn't uninstall correctly, which I know one of the early CU's, build 3152, had issues on x64 servers, and I had to remove SQL Server completely and reinstall it on 2 servers after tryng to back it out. I would have had to do this even if I hadn't had issues trying to back it out.

If it is already there, I'd leave it, and then in the future think about what you are doing before applying it. If you think you might remove it, just don't install it.

There is risk in any patch operation. I just wouldn't accept that to remove it if it isn't a problem.

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
    My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
    Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
    Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs[/url]

• Even if you uninstall CU6, you may not get rid of all traces of it. Many CUs update the system tables, and I doubt the uninstall will always be able to reset changed rows back to their original values.

You should consider an uninstall of a SP or CU only when the update has caused problems you cannot work round. It is best to consult Microsoft before doing an uninstall, as they may have a fix for your problem. You should not consider a SQL instance that has had a SP or CU uninstalled as being as stable as one that never had that SP or CU installed, and you should not be surprised if you have problems at a future date (e.g. when you install the next highest SP or CU) that are caused by the uninstall. Depending on what was in the CU you may not have any issues but do not be surprised if you do.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply