Can anybody give 5 tips to become a good sql server developer who knows just ABC.

• 😛

• Pemmasani Srinivasa Rao. (12/2/2009)

😛

:-P;-):w00t::cool::hehe:

All the 5 tips will make a better SQL Server Developer

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• I could not get you Sir!

• As per me,

1. Buy a good book (probably take certification exams so that you cover most of the areas of sql server. Like for eg., 70-431, it helps you understand the sql server as a whole(or atleast gives a complete picture of it)

2. Buy a software, set up a lab (practice environment), Practice, Practice, Practice!

3. Now that you know ABC, try to understand DEF (I mean go one step ahead, understand the basics, inside working of SQL Server)

4. Try and understand the solutions provided on SSC(here) on different aspects of SQL Server

5. Once you think you are in a good position, try offering your solutions here.

Hope this helps!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Thank you Nabha. You made sound points.

• Read articles on various sites , look into different forums and learn from anywhere and everywhere.

Most importantly try out things on your own.

"Keep Trying"

• Pemmasani Srinivasa Rao. (12/2/2009)

I could not get you Sir!

By seeing your initial post, I thought you understand only emoticons, so I replied only thru emoticons.... Got it?

Any way, I think the replies have already indicated what to do?

Buy good books atleast couple of them, have SQL enterprise evaluation installed and start practising coding. Do visit these forums, where 000's of people post their errors, issues you can learn from them.

All the Best !

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• I'd skip using the Evaluation Edition of SQL Server, instead invest a little money in the Developer Edition as it only costs approximately $50.00 USD and gives you all the same power as the Enterprise Edition just licensed for development and testings (means it can't be used for production work).

• Yes Lynn, Dev edition is also a choice, but wanted to advice eval edtn, so that he can skip that $50 to start the prep going.

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• Personally, if your serious about learning SQL Server, the $50.00 investment in the Developer Edition is well worth it. Plus, you don't have to worry about it expiring on you when you need most. Considr also that most SQL Server books cost that much as well.

• Yes I do agree, but my by the end of the evaluation period, the one who is pursuing, would also realize if its going to be their field or switching over to something else would do any better.

I have seen, a new comer would be very energetic initially and may (I say may) not be interested 6 months down the line.

For someone who has made a decision that surely SQL Server is the way to go, then developer edition is the obvious choice.

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• Okay, $50.00 for a book or $50.00 for Developer Edition? If, after 3 to 6 months you decide it isn't for you, then what? You're still out the money unless you find someone to buy them from you. I'd pay someone their cost for the original media for Developers Edition, but I wouldn't pay full price for a used book.

• If you want to keep it free, eval edition and the library are good ideas.

That gives you some time to get a feel for the subject without monetary costs.

If you're really investing in the skills, I'd go buy some books and a copy of Dev edition, so you can take your time and really get into it fully.

As far as direct suggestions for learning to become a good dev, check what I wrote here:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic820538-263-1.aspx

(It's two or three posts down the page. Applies to coding well just as much as to coding fast.)

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I'm with Lynn here, spend $50 on the Developer's edition of SQL Server. If you're trying to invest in your future... $50, please.

Next, I'd recommend reading Brad McGehee's book, "How to Become an Exceptional DBA." It's a fantastic resource on what to learn, what to do, how to behave.

Then, when you want to learn how to do it, you can start with a basics book, like, oh, I don't know, how about this one. (yeah, yeah, I had something to do with that one, cut my pay).

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Yeah, I did read Brad's book and it's a fantastic book.

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply