Can allocated/actual database space be checked using a script

• Hi,

In SQL Server 2000, you can right click on a database and select view - TaskPad, which will give you the Space Allocated information: allocated data size for data and log files and used space for data and log files.

Is there a way to check this using a script? How to check all databases for those values?

Will it work in SQL Server 2005?

Thanks heaps in advance!

• does the following do the job for you, this would work in 2005 but I'm not sure if it would in 2000 or not.

USE DatabaseName

GO

EXEC sp_helpfile

GO

books online link to sp_helpfile

• Nick_UK (11/27/2009)

does the following do the job for you, this would work in 2005 but I'm not sure if it would in 2000 or not.

USE DatabaseName

GO

EXEC sp_helpfile

GO

books online link to sp_helpfile

I guess it does not solve the OP's problem.

Use this

select * from Master.dbo.sysperfinfo where [object_name] = 'SQLServer:Databases'

and (counter_name = 'Log File(s) Size (KB)' or counter_name = 'Log File(s) Used Size (KB)')

It will display the details for log file.

I am in a rush for a meeting, will reply with the code for Data files.

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• This script gets the file information for every database on a server, inserts it into temp table, and queries it multiple ways to give various levels of analysis of file space usage.

Get Server Database File Information

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=89058

• Hi, thank you for replying. I will try those scripts and get back to you. 🙂

• Hi Michael,

The script worked great. It's very detailed!

Is there a way to stop rounding of the File_size_used and file_size_unused values? Currently it may display 7606, while in Taskpad view it's actually 7606.6, and 1139 instead of 1182.88?

thanks again!:cool:

• Yes, there is way to stop rounding of the values,

In the code try to remove the Round () function. I do not have SQL system to test on.

Also it is "Michael Valentine Jones " Not SSC Committed, it is a Level Name give to every user based on their points. 🙂

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• LOL. 😀

Sorry, I'm a newbie here as you can tell. I"ll give that a go. Thanks.

• maria_gallagher (11/29/2009)

Hi Michael,

The script worked great. It's very detailed!

Is there a way to stop rounding of the File_size_used and file_size_unused values? Currently it may display 7606, while in Taskpad view it's actually 7606.6, and 1139 instead of 1182.88?

thanks again!:cool:

As suggested by Bru Medishetty, you can modify the script to any level of rounding that you want. However, it seems like a waste of time to me to worry about amounts less than 1 MB.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply