calling stored procedure in a loop and selecting from results

• Hello,

I have a stored procedure that takes a project ID as a parameter and returns a list of results on that project. Now what I'd like to do is create another stored procedure that takes a list of project IDs as a parameter, and cycles through each one calling the first stored procedure. The second stored procedure needs to SELECT from the cumulative results of all the first stored procedure calls.

For example, the first stored procedure has these two columns (among others): CATEGORY, and TOTAL_CREDITS.

If for project 1, it returned these results:

CATEGORY, TOTAL_CREDITS

BPCS, 3

MEC, 4

and if for project 2, it returned these results:

CATEGORY, TOTAL_CREDITS

BPCS, 9

MEC, 15

The second stored procedure needs to select the sum of TOTAL_CREDITS for each CATEGORY:

CATEGORY, TOTAL_CREDITS

BPCS, 12

MEC, 19

How can this be done?

Thanks.

• junk.mail291276 (12/14/2016)

Hello,

I have a stored procedure that takes a project ID as a parameter and returns a list of results on that project. Now what I'd like to do is create another stored procedure that takes a list of project IDs as a parameter, and cycles through each one calling the first stored procedure. The second stored procedure needs to SELECT from the cumulative results of all the first stored procedure calls.

For example, the first stored procedure has these two columns (among others): CATEGORY, and TOTAL_CREDITS.

CATEGORY, TOTAL_CREDITS

BPCS, 3

MEC, 4

CATEGORY, TOTAL_CREDITS

BPCS, 9

MEC, 15

The second stored procedure needs to select the sum of TOTAL_CREDITS for each CATEGORY:

CATEGORY, TOTAL_CREDITS

BPCS, 12

MEC, 19

How can this be done?

Thanks.

I wouldn't do it that way. I would write a query that meets the requirements you stated. I'd start with the query in the first stored procedure as a starting point for the query.

• It sounds like what you really want is an inline table-valued function.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• Lynn Pettis (12/14/2016)

junk.mail291276 (12/14/2016)

Hello,

CATEGORY, TOTAL_CREDITS

BPCS, 3

MEC, 4

CATEGORY, TOTAL_CREDITS

BPCS, 9

MEC, 15

CATEGORY, TOTAL_CREDITS

BPCS, 12

MEC, 19

How can this be done?

Thanks.

I wouldn't do it that way. I would write a query that meets the requirements you stated. I'd start with the query in the first stored procedure as a starting point for the query.

Absolutely! Iterative processing in SQL Server is a quick path to poor performance! The verbal description and results you posted sounds like a simple query similar to this:

SELECT category, sum(total_credits) from something group by category

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• drew.allen (12/14/2016)

It sounds like what you really want is an inline table-valued function.

Drew

I was thinking that, or a TVP that takes a list of IDs and then joins to the table.

• Lynn Pettis (12/14/2016)

junk.mail291276 (12/14/2016)

Hello,

CATEGORY, TOTAL_CREDITS

BPCS, 3

MEC, 4

CATEGORY, TOTAL_CREDITS

BPCS, 9

MEC, 15

CATEGORY, TOTAL_CREDITS

BPCS, 12

MEC, 19

How can this be done?

Thanks.

I think this is the best approach. Try to identify logic of first SP and change it to take table valued parameters so that you can send multiple inputs . You might be able to just use joins and aggregation to achieve the result.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Roshan Joe

Jeff Moden -Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply