Calling another package via TASK, and debugging / stepping into it ???

• Hi,

How can I call another SSIS Package (in the same integration services project) using the execute package task and then have Visual Studio step into it?? I can only seem to call a package installed on a server since the Execute Package Task asks for a server connection ? and a package residing on the server.

I have for example an Integration Service Project with two packages:

Package1.dtsx and

Package2.dtsx

after starting package1 i perform some tasks change some variables etc. and want to then as a last step try and execute / call package2 and then in package2 make use of the variables contained in the parent / calling package and do a MEssagebox.Show call in package2 to show the value of a variable contained in package1.

Is this possible?

How can I do this in the IDE / Debug mode ???

Thank you

• Create a file connection to Package2 and in the Execute package choose File instead of sql server and select this file conneciton. It should then open the other package in debug mode too.

HTH

• thank you!!! simple but effective.

The great thing is that one can simply refer to a variable in the child package if it is executed in the same process.

When deploying this to production do you personally use a file connection still? or do you change the execute package task to use a sql connection to a package instead?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply