calling a SP from crystal

• hi all

i have a sp that works fine in sql and crystal designer - but if i try to run it in crystal viewer i get an error stating

database connector error 'cannot obtain message from server'

as far as i see the odbc's are up to date - (it works on the same pc in designer)

can anyone help

• Seems to me that there is either something misspelled in the ODBC parms,....or perhaps you have incorrect connection attributes in the 'Dataset Location' part of the crystal report. Make sure you have the location up to date, as your "viewer" may be on some other resource that can not see the data resource.

• hi nelson

thanks for input..

the designer and viewer are running on the one server so the odbc connection has to be ok ?

when im designing and i refresh the report all is fine, if i save and close out of the report and right click run report it falls over :w00t:

• Do the designer and viewer use the same ODBC? Then you should be ok. Does the viewer have access to the data resource? That may kill it. You use the same logon when designing and viewing?

Or is it users that can not view the report?

I have not used the "viewer", so I'm not sure what to look for. There has to be some setting prohibiting the viewer from connecting. Make sure the 'viewer' has the same rights and access level as the designer? When you installed the viewer, was it restricted or set to readonly or could only access one data store or something wierd like that?

• yea same odbc

we have many reports working already - but all are general table lookups

this report in question connects to a stored procedure and in there it creates and deletes temp tables - which im assuming where the security issue lays

• Can a 'viewer' create tables? I'm not sure it would have the authority to do so. You might want to 'google' the crystal web site and see if that is possible.

• Another thing to check....make sure that the 'viewer' has authority to create tables within the db that it is trying to connect to. If you have not 'granted' table create authority, the viewer may not connect?

• i will check authorities 2 morow and let yeas know how i get on!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply