Call SP foreach Column in Table (without Cursor)

• opc.three (8/19/2013)

Here is a non-cursor option, just for the sake of having an alternative to using a cursor:

DECLARE @sql NVARCHAR(MAX) = N'';

SELECT @sql += 'EXEC LoadFile ' + QUOTENAME(FILENAME, '''') + ';' FROM tbl;

EXEC (@sql);

For the reasons outlined in this thread I would recommend using this non-cursor method instead:

DECLARE @sql nvarchar(max)

SET @sql=(

SELECT 'EXEC LoadFile '+QUOTENAME(FILENAME, '''')+';'

FROM tbl

FOR XML PATH(''))

EXEC(@sql);

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Alan.B (8/20/2013)

opc.three (8/19/2013)

Here is a non-cursor option, just for the sake of having an alternative to using a cursor:

DECLARE @sql NVARCHAR(MAX) = N'';

SELECT @sql += 'EXEC LoadFile ' + QUOTENAME(FILENAME, '''') + ';' FROM tbl;

EXEC (@sql);

For the reasons outlined in this thread I would recommend using this non-cursor method instead:

DECLARE @sql nvarchar(max)

SET @sql=(

SELECT 'EXEC LoadFile '+QUOTENAME(FILENAME, '''')+';'

FROM tbl

FOR XML PATH(''))

EXEC(@sql);

I appreciate the intent behind your comment but there is nothing wrong with aggregate concatenation when used appropriately. Also, regarding the code you posted, you're missing an important point about how FOR XML behaves. If I were going to use the XML method I would use TYPE along with FOR XML to avoid entitization problems. Please see my last response on this thread for an example of what I mean.

Since we're throwing out alternative solutions, in addition to the aggregate concatenation technique I also favor this SQLCLR aggregate I wrote over using a cursor or FOR XML: http://groupconcat.codeplex.com

Here would be an example of its use you could add to the end of the testbed code I provided in my last post on this thread:

SET @sql = (

SELECT dbo.GROUP_CONCAT_DS('EXEC LoadFile ' + QUOTENAME(MyFileName, ''''), ';', 1)

FROM dbo.MyFileTable

) + ';';

PRINT @sql

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply