C2 auditing trace files not created on sql server 2012 with alwayson, but are on enterprise edition

• Hi. I was able to find out what was wrong. The sql server service was running with an id that didn't have full permissions to write to the data folder. After we changed the id and permissions, it worked.

I turned on C2 auditing on sql sever 2012 standard edition with always on/HA, and the audittrace files aren't being created, even after the service was restarted.

It's working fine on other servers using 2012 enterprise edition, 2008 and 2005.

None of them uses HA.

I looked in server logs and event logs, but can't find anything wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• It surprises me that C2 auditing is still being requested. The underlying standard that C2 forms a part of started to become obsolete in 1993 and has been replaced by Common Criteria.

Are you able to share why you think a C2 trace is required instead of a CC trace?

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• Hi, Ed. I tried Common Criteria at first, but the vendor for the product we've bought doesn't support CC yet.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply