Bulk Insert & link relationship between inserted row

• Hi,

Let me elaborate with example:-

I having an existing TableA with below sample column & data

Date                             Amount                 Category               Name

2018-01-01                 -100.00                 Debit-Out             Jonathan

2018-01-01                 -400.00                 Debit-Out             Jonathan

2018-01-02                 -150.00                 Debit-Out             Jonathan

2018-01-01                 +100.00                 Credit-In            Jonathan

2018-01-02                 +400.00                 Credit-In            Jonathan

2018-01-03                +150.00                 Credit-In            Jonathan

Now, i want move the data to another table, called TableB, with  below features

1. To add [id] column below, [id] is auto increment during insert

2. To add [DebitOutFrom] column on last, this is to attach the relationship of debit-out & credit-in, meaning to say, in Credit-In row, i know which row to be Debit Out previously, and only the Credit-In row required to fill up the [DebitOutFrom] column.

My sample data want to achieve as below, i had highlight the value in bold &italic, as below

Id                     Date                             Amount                      Category               Name                      DebitOutFrom

1                     2018-01-01                 -100.00                 Debit-Out                Jonathan                   NULL

2                    2018-01-01                 -400.00                 Debit-Out                Jonathan                   NULL

3                    2018-01-02                 -150.00                 Debit-Out                Jonathan                  NULL

4                      2018-01-01                 +100.00                 Credit-In               Jonathan                      1

5                      2018-01-02                 +400.00                 Credit-In              Jonathan                     2

6                     2018-01-03                +150.00                 Credit-In                Jonathan                    3

Above example,

The row:4,  the value of DebitOutFrom is 1,    meaning this Credit row, previously is it being  Debit out in row:1

The row:5,  the value of DebitOutFrom is 2,    meaning this Credit row, previously is it being  Debit out in row:2

The row:6,  the value of DebitOutFrom is 3,    meaning this Credit row, previously is it being  Debit out in row:3

Any suggestion?

1. Can it be insert first, then perform separate update process the [DebitOutFrom]? OR
    2. During insert, able to achieve that at once?

• Hi,

I repaste my text

Hi,

Let me elaborate with example:-

I having an existing TableA with below sample column & data

Date                             Amount                 Category               Name

2018-01-01                 -100.00                 Debit-Out             Jonathan

2018-01-01                 -400.00                 Debit-Out             Jonathan

2018-01-02                 -150.00                 Debit-Out             Jonathan

2018-01-01                 +100.00                 Credit-In            Jonathan

2018-01-02                 +400.00                 Credit-In            Jonathan

2018-01-03                +150.00                 Credit-In            Jonathan

Now, i want move the data to another table, called TableB, with  below features

To add [id] column below, [id] is auto increment during insert

2. To add [DebitOutFrom] column on last, this is to attach the relationship of debit-out & credit-in, meaning to say, in Credit-In row, i know which row to be Debit Out previously, and only the Credit-In row required to fill up the [DebitOutFrom] column.

My sample data want to achieve as below, i had highlight the value in bold &italic, as below

Id                     Date                             Amount                      Category               Name         DebitOutFrom

1                     2018-01-01                 -100.00                 Debit-Out                Jonathan       NULL

2                    2018-01-01                 -400.00                 Debit-Out                Jonathan       NULL

3                    2018-01-02                 -150.00                 Debit-Out                Jonathan        NULL

4                      2018-01-01                 +100.00                 Credit-In               Jonathan          1

5                      2018-01-02                 +400.00                 Credit-In              Jonathan          2

6                     2018-01-03                +150.00                 Credit-In                Jonathan        3

Above example,

The row:4,  the value of DebitOutFrom is 1,    meaning this Credit row, previously is it being  Debit out in row:1

The row:5,  the value of DebitOutFrom is 2,    meaning this Credit row, previously is it being  Debit out in row:2

The row:6,  the value of DebitOutFrom is 3,    meaning this Credit row, previously is it being  Debit out in row:3

The value of [DebitOutFrom] , is from  [id] value of Debit-Out row.

Any suggestion?

Can it be insert first, then perform separate update process the [DebitOutFrom]? OR

During insert, able to achieve that at once?

• I know this post is a bit old but...

There's nothing in Table A to absolutely guarantee the correct order of data... that also means there's not going to be anything in table B that you can build your numbering on.  The closest you can come by name,  category, date, and amount.  If that's what you want, then we can come closer.  However, I suspect that the Credit amount won't always exactly match the debit amounts.

What are you actually trying to do?  Create a running balance or ???

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply