Breaking Things Apart

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Breaking Things Apart

• Interesting. We're just getting into super servers and virtualization to improve utilization in our server room: we're out of rack space and very low on available power. Our network guys will be quite interested in this.

Our latest server is to support one department's vertical app. Not a terribly high utilization. So I opened up Task Manager to look at performance and that box has EIGHT cores. Turns out that Dell is now shipping boxes with two quad core CPUs, you have to pay extra to get dual cores.

The sucky thing is that I can't put anything else on that box! At least the future is looking bright processing-wise.

Gotta go get my shades!:D

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• That's good news - I've always thought MS would do better letting people buy individual components rather than massive bundles. That way if I only want Word and Excel for my team, I can just buy those licenses.

One item that I wanted to point out is that we've been able and allowed to run other OSes on VirtualPC ever since it was released for free (mid-2006, I think) *nix has been supported. In fact, there are a large number of blog posts on running "other" OSes under VirtualPC2007. For example: http://blogs.technet.com/seanearp/archive/tags/Virtual+PC/default.aspx And I think they have or are working out VM Additions for Linux for Virtual Server.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply