Brainbench Exam

• I passed all the brainbench exams for the DataBase Administrator role. Is it going to add values to my career or job search?

Certificates:

Data Modeling concept

RDBMS Concept

SQL(ANSI)

DataWarehouse Concept

MS SQL Server 2000 Administration

MS SQL Server 2000 Programming

• I know when we looked at some candidates, it showed one thing: they went out and at least applied themselves. We didn't use it necessarily as a measure of ability. But then again, we hold the same standard towards an MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA, CCNA, or CCNP. If nothing else, it may get your resume through an automated filter by the HR department. That means your resume will be looked at when previously it was rejected.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• It might add some value, but not as much as a Microsoft certification. Sounds like you know your stuff, so that should not be too difficult to achieve. To-date I have passed 5 Microsoft exams, 2 Brainbench exams, and 1 SkillDrill exam, and there's really no comparison - the MS exams are way harder and require much more depth than the online exams do.

• It may be true that some of the 'buzz' words (BrainBench, MCSE, etc.) may get you through a firms automated filtering mechanisms to get into the initial selection pool for a position, it may or may not help. A lot of organizations, large and small, filter things automatically. But, on the other hand a lot of organizations, again, large and small, do not. I've worked at many firms from mom'n'pop to fortune 100 in my career. The feelings at most places about certifications have run the gamut. If the firms culture stresses 'continuing education', it will probably help. If the firm is large and procedure oriented, it'll get you through the resume mill, but at interview time probably won't help. Also, you can run into firms that will not even look at you because you have it (reasoning that you needed Microsoft to program you to function and you cannot think out of the box). I presently have no certifications (been a DBA for 22+ years though). But my organization is paying for training and materials to become an MCSE and MCDBA. It's more of a management culture thing to tout for the organization because whrn I was hired, they said "We don't care beans about 'paper'. We expect results".

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply