Books for Newbies?

• Could anyone recommend a good book about SQL Server for a newbie to read?

• Development, admin or BI?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Here's my situation. I'm a scientist that inherited a crazy database (MS Access for data entry, SQL Server back-end) when I started the current job. The database was created by a relatively competent person who left no clues on how he did things when he left the job. I need something that starts with the basics of SQL Server (walks me through it, more or less). After that, I want to progress to the more developer/administrative side of things because that's what I need.

I recently posted a question on here about how to solve a problem. The person helping me was very patient, but I realized that when I asked, "Where do I run this code?", I knew that I needed more of a primer on how to do things.

• here's a link to a nice free ebook to help you get started:

Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA by

Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger[/url]

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Excellent as that book it, it assumes some knowledge.

For basic T-SQL, try Itzik Ben-Gan's T-SQL Fundamentals. Not sure about a beginner's guide to SQL Server though

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • here is list of books which can help you to choose.

http://www.brentozar.com/archive/2008/08/recommended-books-for-sql-server-dbas/

• ryetimothy (1/27/2012)

Could anyone recommend a good book about SQL Server for a newbie to read?

Do not forget about "Books On Line" a.k.a. BOL which comes free with your SQL Server installation; start with architecture then use it as a reference for specific doubts.

Also... take a look at data normalization, be sure you understand the Third Normal Form a.k.a. 3NF - plenty of free documentation on the net.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • GilaMonster (1/27/2012)

Excellent as that book it, it assumes some knowledge.

For basic T-SQL, try Itzik Ben-Gan's T-SQL Fundamentals. Not sure about a beginner's guide to SQL Server though

I've attended one of Itziks courses in London before - this guy certainly knows his stuff. He gave us his books at the end of the course and it goes into some insane detail and can be a little overwhelming to someone new to SQL.

I started learning from the "blue book", can't remember the course number but was SQL Server 2005 administration and maintenance. Or try SQL for Dummies (not intended to be nasty thats what the book is called 🙂 )

[font="Times New Roman"]There's no kill switch on awesome![/font]
  • Loundy (1/31/2012)

Or try SQL for Dummies (not intended to be nasty thats what the book is called 🙂 )

The "For Dummies"-series is usually quite good for a quick introduction.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Books are nice but not always necessary, especially for someone new who doesn't know where to begin. There are plenty of tutorials and intros online that are free and give a lot of the basic information you would find in a book. I first started with w3schools and then worked my way from there. For me, books are good if I'm looking for some in depth knowledge or very specific information that I have a hard time finding online. But everyone is different. The links below may help. You'll find there's plenty of information online if you take the time to search for it.

http://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174173.aspx

• Frankly, I would think the book(s) you might want to read would depend largely on your aim here... solve a few sql related problems or pursue a career change.

I'm thinking its the former? If this is the case, books such as Itzik Ben Gan's might be overkill as they go in to a level of detail you may have no interest in.

I would suggest you try to work out exactly what issues you'd like to address and ask a few questions on this forum about them. There are people here who could give you a pretty good idea if its stuff you'd be able to easily tackle as a novice or whether it might be easier to just get a consultant in for a couple of days to set you straight.

best of luck, in any case.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply