BIGGER BETTER machine is slower than the old one

• Edward-445599 (4/20/2011)

Hi , I am not very familiar with SQL2005 and Windows 2008, a db has just been moved from windows 2003 and SQL 2005 to a much more powerful 2008 server(stil sql 2005) But it is running slower. It was a plane backup and restore. Server has something like 36 cores and 124 GB memory. Disk and CPU. The DB is compatibility mode 80 , I see SQL is set to 124 gb memory but AWE is not enabled I guess this okay as SQL is 64 bit?

Any ideas what configurations need checking?

Many thanks

You should drop your max server memory to allow for the OS to have some allocated to it. In the configuration you specified I would recommend that you should set it around 118 GB. Starving the OS is never good.

As Gail stated, just because you throw more metal at a database instance doesn't mean that it is going to perform better. Prior to moving it would have been good to get some baseline metrics to see how things were then and after and then start to look at what might have degraded. Somewhat spilled milk at this point but good to consider moving forward.

I am a bit curious how your IO is performing. Did you upgrade your disk configuration as well or is that still the same? Can you check avg disk sec / read and avg disk sec / write counters and see what you have there and provide that back?

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Can you define what is "slower"? Is it specific queries? Do you still have the old server and can you check specific items to see if they are really slower?

Gail has listed some of the potential reasons for this. Have you also made sure you have rebuilt indexes and updated statistics to be sure that the new instance has all the information on your data?

• GilaMonster (4/20/2011)

ALZDBA (4/20/2011)

"Blunt" has been redefined :hehe:

Sorry, will see if I can tone it down when I get home.

Nothing blunt in there... just solid experience. I don't see anything wrong with what you said.

• Ninja's_RGR'us (4/20/2011)

GilaMonster (4/20/2011)

ALZDBA (4/20/2011)

"Blunt" has been redefined :hehe:

Sorry, will see if I can tone it down when I get home.

Nothing blunt in there... just solid experience. I don't see anything wrong with what you said.

+1

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply