BIDS Remotely Create SSIS Package

• Is it possible to create a Integration Services package by remotely connecting to the Intergration Services through BIDS? I'm able to create a project and everything loads fine when I use the Intelligence Studio located on the server with Integration Services installed. But when I attempt to create a project on my own machine with Integration Services the "Package.dtsx" displays the following message:

Microsoft Visual Studio is unable to load this document

To design Integration Services packages in Business Intelligence Development Studio, Integration Services has to be installed by one of these editions of SQL Server 2008: Standard, Enterprise, Developer, or Evaluation. To install Integration Services, run SQL Server Setup and select Integration Services.

Is there anyway I could "point" my local copy of BIDS to the SQL Server that has Integration Services installed on it so I no longer receive this message? Or will I have to remote to the server and set-up the packages there? Thank you for your help.

• NuNn DaddY (4/3/2012)

Is there anyway I could "point" my local copy of BIDS to the SQL Server that has Integration Services installed on it so I no longer receive this message? Or will I have to remote to the server and set-up the packages there? Thank you for your help.

Not that I'm aware of. In most cases you get your hands on a copy of developer and install it to the machine you're trying to work on. SSIS requires specific drivers that are installed for BIDS/VS to work with.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Evil Kraig F (4/3/2012)

NuNn DaddY (4/3/2012)

Not that I'm aware of. In most cases you get your hands on a copy of developer and install it to the machine you're trying to work on. SSIS requires specific drivers that are installed for BIDS/VS to work with.

+1

BIDS needs some specific DLL's of SSIS in order to debug packages.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Thank you for your replies. I had thought that this may be the case but was having trouble locating anything online in the documentation. I'll go ahead and remote to the server to do this for now. Hopefully, we'll get a few copies of the developer edition to work in the near future so these type of situations don't come up again. Have a great day!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply