Best way to store images

• Something to be aware of (which has always prevented me from using FILESTREAM) is that a database cannot be mirrored if it contains a FILESTREAM filegroup. There are a number of other restrictions to take into account:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb895334.aspx

Regards

Lempster

• TomThomson (2/17/2014)

But I can see cases where I would want to have binary data involved in transactional consistency with other data;

To me the critical question is: Do changes/adds/deletes to the binary data require ACID compliance? If so, thou shalt put them in the database. If not, you have choices to think about.

If you use "files on file store, link in the database" (whether FILESTREAM or custom coding), I would recommend a regular process that checks validity - i.e. something you can run when you run DBCC CHECKDB to see if the links still lead to files.

• To me, the critical question is, is the data important whether it changes or not? If so, put it in the database because no one will protect the data better than a DBA. It's going to take disk space in one place or another. It might as well be in a safe place.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply