best way to distribute/ synchronise datafiles

• Hiya,

I am at the start of the dev process for a project.

I have the development datafiles on my local PC.

I want to be able to allow other users on the LAN to be able to directly enter sample data to a specific subset of my tables, via enterprise manager.These users all have EM installed locally on their boxes.

At the moment, I am simply putting a copy of my MDF files onto their local hard drives (as I can’t seem to get EM to be able to attach to datafiles that arent’t local)

Pretty messy, I then need to copy them back to my local PC then re-attach

Obviously, I’d like to be able to:

1)     centralise these tables into a single datafile, that all the users can get acess to.

2)     Restrict what these user can get access to (they really don’t need to see sprocs and udf’s etc)

I’d say this is an admin issue.Can anyone suggest how I can make the process a bit less messy?

Many thanks,

yogi

• EM can access database remotely. then use right to limit what can be seen for each user.

• My buddy Andy would say use Access and link it to your tables. Setup only links to those tables the users need.

• Thanks all.

I went for the access option at the minute, simply because I'm not yet confident enough that I can adequately control the permissions to my sprocs and tables.

cheers,

• Hi,

clients can access the database residing in a remote machine. This is possible by registering a new server in EM (client machine) based on machine name or ipaddress of ur machine. 

If u want to restrict their functionality on Database u can create the user(s) with specific server/db roles to them.  

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply