Best Practise for SSRS Aggregation and Filters

• Hi

What is more effective, using the SQL Server to filter results in a parametrized WHERE clause or forcing the ReportServer to filter the detailed results of the dataset at Rendering time.

Also I generally use the SQL Server to group and aggregate the results instead of forcing the ReportServer to calculate from a lot of details (for instance in a matrix/tablix). For large- or nasty queries I use stored procedures to get the data from the SQL server faster.

Are these approaches best or are there better methods? My basic goal is to produce the report accurately, in the quickest time, so that users don't get frustrated waiting for their info. Most users don't care how the data gets there as all they are interested in is the results.

• It's never a good idea to bring back data your report won't use, so definitely use the WHERE to gain some focus. It's really the only way to go: once you get into large data sets it'll be impossible to do otherwise.

As far as the aggregations go, it's the same thing. If you aren't going to use the details for display (including grouping, sorting, etc) then don't return them. Aggregate them, since less data moved means faster reports and less burden on the reporting server.

[font="Arial"]Are you lost daddy? I asked tenderly.
    Shut up he explained.
    [/font]
    - Ring Lardner

• i think it SQL.....

Magic-jack [/url]
    Magic-jack

• I agree with Cris, do all your filtering and aggregations at the database. The only time I do it on the reportserver is if we need to show details with the aggregations or we want to allow the users to more finely limit the data once presented.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply