Best Practices for the System Databases

• EdVassie (2/4/2009)

Personally, I would not move master or model, for slightly different reasons.

The SP2 install places a new version of mssqlsystemresource into the original location of this database (as defined at install time) and upgrades the master database to the new build level. If master points to a mssqlsystemresource database at a different location to where SP2 put the new version, SQL will refuse to start.

My view is we have to assume Microsoft will make further mistakes in this area, and if master or mssqlsystemresource are not in their original locations there may be problems when maintenance is applied. Therefore I feel best practice is to leave these databases in their original locations.

There are no performance or integrity benefits in moving model, so in order to avoid unnecessary work this can be left in its original location.

Tempdb normally has to be moved to get the best I-O performance, and there are no issues in doing this.

Msdb sometimes gets heavily used in a given site, sometimes hardly used. If a site stores many SSIS and/or DTS packages in msdb or are heavy users of other facilities provided by msdb, then I think it should be treated the same as other user databases and located according to site standards for user databases. I do not know of any issues with applying maintenance to msdb, so this should be safe to do.

Interesting. Definitely one to file away and remember.

I guess, if the version of SQL Server 2005 that you are installing is already SP2, should be ok then.

Either way, thats a big blunder on Microsoft part.

Are they aware of it? Going to fix it?

Thanks,

Jason

Viewing post 16 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply