bcp Error = [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Unable to open BCP host data-file

• I use domain account to login query analyser, i have admin right , and I can access the folder

"d:\W3Root\Test", but after run the following query, there is a error message.

ps: I can execute the query : exec master..xp_cmdshell 'dir d:\W3Root\Test\*.*'

anyone pls help.

declare @cmd nvarchar(1000)

select @cmd = 'bcp "select top 10 * from Northwind..Customers" queryout "d:\W3Root\Test\Atest.txt" '

exec master..xp_cmdshell @cmd

SQLState = S1000, NativeError = 0

Error = [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Unable to open BCP host data-file

• Does folder "d:\W3Root\Test\" exist on the server where SQL Server is running?

• yes, it does exist

• What account starts SQL Server?

Does that accout have write privileges on that folder?

• use my domain account , it has the administrator's right

but I found the answer, I missed the parameter -T -c at the end of the statement ,

but there is a another problem , when i run the bcp command with parameter -T -c,

it can output the result to the file , but when I excute it again , it show the error again.

why? is it can't overwrite the file?

• That seems likely.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• My bcp overwrites existing files with no questions asked.

Are you sure you have "Modify" or "Full Control" permission, not only "Read" and "Write" permissions on that folder?

• yes, i have full control in this folder and I am running the query in a sql 2005

it only can run it once and create the output file, and it can't overwrite the file when i run the query again .

following is the output error :

• Can you print and post here command string you're executing?

Command

bcp "SELECT 'WHATEVER'" queryout "C:\TestFile.csv" -c -t"," -r -S"ServerName" -T

overwrites existing files without problems.

• this is my string query

declare @cmd nvarchar(1000)

set @cmd = 'bcp "select * from northwind..customers" queryout d:\w3root\test\atest.txt -S"testserver" -T -w'

exec master..xp_cmdshell @cmd

when excute it at first time , it runs ok , and generate a output file "atest.txt" in the destination folder

NULL

Starting copy...

NULL

91 rows copied.

Network packet size (bytes): 4096

Clock Time (ms.): total 1

NULL

but when I run it again , it appears the following error:

NULL

• As an additional thought: any such job/extract that stops working after being ok previously (happened to me today!) may be due to a destination (eg file share) running out of space. In my case, once I cleared a bit of room the job ran fine. Deceptive because explorer may well show gigs free; the more limited file share disk space allocation not being shown via explorer.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply