bcp CSV to DB table

• To all:

I am trying to import a CSV file into a database table using bcp, however I am getting the message

"Unexpected EOF encountered in the BCP data-file"

I have looked at many forum posts and articles on Google, but just can't seem to find the solution.

Here is my code:

declare @cmd varchar(8000)

select @cmd = 'bcp STH_D_Test.dbo.BCP_Test in "C:\TestFile.csv" -c -T'

exec master.dbo.xp_cmdshell @cmd

Thank you for any help in advance! =)

• Have you tried looking at the end of the file to see what it's choking on in something like Notepad++ so you can see the characters?

• usually when i get that error, it's because the files are coming from a UNIX file type, where the rows end in \r instead of \n

usually this fix, where I explicitly specify your row and field terminators resolves the issue for me.

EXECUTE master.dbo.xp_cmdshell 'bcp BFONRA.dbo.EMAILTEMPLATES in c:\Data\bcpExample.txt -c -t"," -r"\r" -T'

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thank you both!

When I check the file, copying into Notepad, I do not see any extra characters. To be safe, I even created created a test by hand in Notepad. Same results. =(

I am not familiar with Linux, but this is just a MS CSV or notepad, and not sure what the problem could me. Could something be off with the table I am trying to import to?

• rayh 98086 (4/11/2013)

Thank you both!

When I check the file, copying into Notepad, I do not see any extra characters. To be safe, I even created created a test by hand in Notepad. Same results. =(

I am not familiar with Linux, but this is just a MS CSV or notepad, and not sure what the problem could me. Could something be off with the table I am trying to import to?

yeah, you need something like NotePad++ to REALLY see the file.

i think both Erin and i thinkg the file is terminated in CHAR(10) (Line Feed), which is the standard for Macs/unix/linux/some other systems to end represent a new line , where bcp, without identifying the row terminator, expects CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) (the windows standard)

a screenshot of Notepadd++, where it's explicitly showing special characters:

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Again, thank you, this is very helpful to see and I appreciate your patience to help me understand.

I think I may be onto the problem. I have a field that has 16 digits, so I currently have it as a Decmial(18,0) data type in my database table. It seems that this is not converting properly.

Is there some kind of cast/convert I need to do for this to pass correctly?

• Hi,

So I seem to have my code and file somewhat working ... for one row only. For some reason my file successfully inputs the first row but fails on the 2nd row.

I have also created a test file with identical field values, and am getting the error message:

"Invalid character value cast specification"

Code:

EXECUTE master.dbo.xp_cmdshell 'bcp STH_D_Test.dbo.ValidateImportData in c:\4.csv -c -t"," -r"\r" -T'

Here is what my test file looks like:

1,1,3,4,y,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,2013-04-13,2013-04-13

2,2,3,4,y,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,2013-04-13,2013-04-13

3,3,3,4,y,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,2013-04-13,2013-04-13

• Could you please post the table structure and attach a sample file?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply