bcackup failed

• hi friends

in my organization we are taking diff backup in every 3 hours

in night 3'0 clock backup is failing in every day .. we changed backup drive(network drive)

in sql logs is giving error

BackupDiskFile::CreateMedia: Backup device 'J:\DUMP\McareHDFC_DIFF_14110818_3' failed to create. Operating system error = 3(The system cannot find the path specified.).

please help me ..this is giving full headache for me

please

• J:\ does'nt seem to be localdrive, Is it SAN Drive or Network Share Mapped locally?

Some Possible Causes are

1. Your SQLSERVER Agent Service Account does'nt have access to the location.

2. You have some extra spaces in the path specified.

3. The Actual Path specified does not exist.

4. Agent Service account is not domain account but the path is a network share path.

Check whether any of the above are the cause for your issue.

To check the access to the path for Agent Service account do the below steps.

1. Go to %PROGRAMFILE%\Internet Explorer

2. Right click iexplore.exe

3. Select Runas Option.

4. Type the SQLServer Agent Service account and open Browser.

5. Now in the address bar type the complete destination path like \\SERVER\directory and see whether you are able to open the path.

Regards,
    Sakthi
    My Blog -> http://www.sqlserverdba.co.cc

• yogaanand.me (11/17/2008)

hi friends

in my organization we are taking diff backup in every 3 hours

in night 3'0 clock backup is failing in every day .. we changed backup drive(network drive)

in sql logs is giving error

BackupDiskFile::CreateMedia: Backup device 'J:\DUMP\McareHDFC_DIFF_14110818_3' failed to create. Operating system error = 3(The system cannot find the path specified.).

please help me ..this is giving full headache for me

please

There may be different reasons. most common may be

1. destination drive is full.

2. Network disconnection etc.

kshitij kumar
    kshitij@krayknot.com
    www.krayknot.com

• hi sakthi

J:\ is mapped network drive

only 3.am backup is failling.......

we are using domain administrator login for all service...

i tried for iexplore.exe right click for run as ..its not coming ..please explain..

thankx

• thanks kumar

i checked every think ..

we remove the mapped network drive and re-mapped the drive ..still problem is continuing

• Hi Yoga,

Since this happens only at 3 am, you can ignore the IE test incase you are not able to do it properly... Try like this...

1) Enable Execution Trace of Jobs are per below article

http://www.sqlserverdba.co.cc/2008/10/troublshooting-sql-server-jobs.html

2) Create a batch script to copy some text file to the same network location where the backup is taken and schedule it using schedule task to run under same SQL Server Agent Account and make it to run for every 5 mins from 2:45 AM till 3:15 AM.

4) Add Time Stamp to the filename which is copied to track.

Now see how it goes, Incase of network failure then above batch script will fail else the trace message in SQL Agent can help.. Somehow you will get a clue...

Regards,
    Sakthi
    My Blog -> http://www.sqlserverdba.co.cc

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply