Basic SQLCMD Utilities

• Made me put on my thinking cap. :alien:

• Stewart "Arturius" Campbell (2/22/2013)

These utilities were deprecated in SQL2008 and discontinued with SQL2012.

Exactly... I was trying to identify that which had been deprecated. I know Profiler is deprecated in favor of Extended Events. readpipe/makepipe had to go hand in hand... but for me it was a toss up between odbcping and profiler.

Wish it had said Discontinued, not Deprecated... there's a difference.

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

• Basic SQLCMD Utilities? or Basic SQL CMD Utilities? or Basic SQL CoMmanD Utilities, or Basic SQL Utilities?

Anyway, good question!

--------------------------------------
    ;-)“Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.” ― Confucius

• Thanks - learned something

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Thanks for the question, but it could've been better.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Agreed, the wording was a little. off. Then again, from the list, those 3 options were definitely the oldest and were introduced to diagnose problems or mirror underlying functionality MANY versions ago. So I simply reasoned that those would be the ones to fit the intent of the question rather than the exact wording. That I knew the utilities that well may mean I have been working with SQL Server for too long.

------------
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -- Hunter S. Thompson

• This one made me research some command line utilities I had not used related to Named Pipes but deprecated, i.e. should not be used but is still supported != obsolete, i.e. has been removed from the product. I wish the wording of this question had been better.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• opc.three (3/12/2013)

This one made me research some command line utilities I had not used related to Named Pipes but deprecated, i.e. should not be used but is still supported != obsolete, i.e. has been removed from the product. I wish the wording of this question had been better.

+1

• This question definitely needed some research, specially for me. I knew about makepipe and readpipe but had to work hard for odbcping. But got one point for my hard work so happy. 🙂

• readpipe and makepipe utilities were deprecated long back.

Thanks.

• Ahh, 2 out of 3. Isn't that worth a point ?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply