Basic Optimum Performance setup

• Top tips. Thanks for all your help!

• I'm going to have a Primary and Secondary filegroup. Primary to contain the .mdf file and just be the db catalog. Secondary to contain all the objects. Is there any point having multiple .ndf files within this secondary group if they are all sitting on the same raid array?

• And my final jigsaw piece. We have data coming into 30 tables. We are then tidying it up and filtering in 20 other tables ready for population of text files. Would you store the 30 and the 20 in 1 database under 2 schemas, or would you store them in 2 different dbs on the same box?

I guess the question would be are the 20 being accessed seperately? And therefore it is worth splitting them out so that db1 can concentrate on gathering the data, and db2 can concentrate on sending out to text files and having reports run against it?

• Shark Energy (12/8/2008)

Is there any point having multiple .ndf files within this secondary group if they are all sitting on the same raid array?

Not really.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply