*.bak file of 70GB

• Hello All,

I have a 70 GB of sql server backed up file in the format of *.bak. I want to restore or make a new database from this file in mySql database. I tried various things but nothing is working out for me. Any suggestions?

Regards

V

• Unless there is a third-party tool available I doubt you will be able to create a mySQL database from a SQL Server backup. They are two different programs with different internals and I just don't see it working.

I think the only thing you could do would be to create a new mySQL database with the same basic schema as the SQL Server db and do BCP imports of the data into it.

Joie Andrew
    "Since 1982"

• "I think the only thing you could do would be to create a new mySQL database with the same basic schema as the SQL Server db and do BCP imports of the data into it."

Thanks Joie for your response.

Do you have any information on how to create a new mySQL database with the same basic schema as the SQL Server db?

Actually, I tried to download the sql server trial version and express edition, but both of them have a database limit of 4GB data.

If I buy the license for SQL server, do you think, I can covnert the file into a different format, which can be easily imported to MySql server. Also, do you know, which licensed database edition, I might need to buy.

Regards

V

• You can download the SQL Server 2008 R2 enterprise trial version, which will have all features of enterprise editions for 180 days. As you mentioned your database size is 70+ GB it is easy to accomadate this into SQL Server Enterprise trial version software.

Download link:

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/get-sql-server/try-it.aspx

Once you have database loaded to SQL Server follow these steps.

1. Script out all table definitions -> Change definition to MySQL format -> Run on MySQL database

2. Repeat the above procedure for Stored Procs, Functions, Views, Triggers and other database objects

3. Use SSIS or other ETL tools to load the data from SQL Server to MySQL database

(Use SSIS, since it comes with your SQL Server download and u can use it for 180 days)

For further info mail me @

info@sqlforu.com

SQLforU
    info@sqlforu.com
    For online training on SQL Server and Sybase, please contact
    contact@sqlforu.com
    www.sqlforu.com

• A Practical Guide to Migrating SQL Server to mySQL

(registration required)

Joie Andrew
    "Since 1982"

• loop

Thanks

• Hi,

MSSQL & MySQL both are different, also Mysql is open source, so you cant restore directly, for dong this your work you have to create the new database in Mysql & then you can create all the schemas( Script out from your old MSSQL database) then once everything is done from database structure leavel then you can go ahead for BCP and then you can statr you data moving from MSSQL (70 GB .bak) to Mysql. Even thrid pary tool is also not going to support MSSQL back to MySQL, you can convert same MSSQL (.sqb,.BKP ) to .bak if the same has been take from MSSQL, but if its from other source its bit convert all the schema in to new different source. I hope this will give you some idea for implement your work.

Regards

Raju

• Viishal, please let us know how did you decided to do the migration and if you had any issues it would be nice if you let us know how did you solved them. Good luck!

• Hi All,

I downloaded the trial version of SQL server 2008 R2 and successfully imported the *.bak file into this server. I created a SSIS package now using ADO NET Source and Destination connection managers. But, I was getting the syntax error while moving data from source to destination.

So, I tried the following steps:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mattm/archive/2009/01/07/writing-to-a-mysql-database-from-ssis.aspx

It worked. My only problem is I have 50 tables. So, I have to do all these steps again & again. 🙁 🙁

But, Thanks to all of you guys. You helped me lot.

Regards

V

• Glad to hear you solved your problem and thank you for sharing!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply