badly need help

• ------

• Wow.

I for one am not helping out any further. I won't be a part to what looks unethical and maybe even illegal. Honestly, if I were in your shoes I'd be considering reporting whatever this is to IT security, HR or maybe even legal. 'I'm obeying orders' doesn't make what you're doing right, it just makes you an accessory to whatever's going on.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (11/30/2010)

Wow.

I for one am not helping out any further. I won't be a part to what looks unethical and maybe even illegal. Honestly, if I were in your shoes I'd be considering reporting whatever this is to IT security, HR or maybe even legal. 'I'm obeying orders' doesn't make what you're doing right, it just makes you an accessory to whatever's going on.

Very well said Gail. I second your opinion on this.

Pradeep Adiga
    Blog: sqldbadiaries.com
    Twitter: @pradeepadiga

• InfiniteError (11/30/2010)

i know there's an ethical problem on what im trying to do, but it already ordered to me by the higher ups, it's not my decision and i already explain to them the ethical problem, so now, my job is to get it done and cover all the tracks at the same time.

I'm giving unsolicited advice here. Dear friend, if a mistake has been made, the best thing to do in our profession is, take steps to ensure that it does not happen again. You could apply it to life as well. Everyone makes mistakes. If the one your department made has a huge impact (and i believe that is why you want to cover it up), it is very likely that your client will find it out. You should probably point them in the right direction.

- arjun

https://sqlroadie.com/

• Please no more responses on modifying system tables. It's not safe, and in this case, it should not be done.

To InfiniteError, you cannot modify the transaction log after, nor should you. Report to your boss that you cannot do this, it's immoral, and they will have to find someone else. If it's un-ethical, then I would hope you are moral enough to wash your hands of this and move on.

• At times, the treachery is astounding...

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

• hello again, i found out that it's better for me to create a 3rd party app to do all this things(modifying system table, view and modifying transaction log.) im planning to release it in public when all are clean.

thanks to all

I found out that it's better for me to create a 3rd party app to do all this things(modifying system table, view and modifying transaction log.) im planning to release it in public when all are clean.

Hell....

Modify SQL transaction log (not possible through SQL Server) = suspect database.

Modify system tables = good chance of corrupt database.

DON'T MESS with the SQL internals. Unless you know as much as the people who wrote the SQL Storage engine there's virtually no chance you'll get it right (right meaning make mods and have DB usable afterwards)

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (11/30/2010)

InfiniteError (11/30/2010)

I found out that it's better for me to create a 3rd party app to do all this things(modifying system table, view and modifying transaction log.) im planning to release it in public when all are clean.

Hell....

Modify SQL transaction log (not possible through SQL Server) = suspect database.

Modify system tables = good chance of corrupt database.

DON'T MESS with the SQL internals. Unless you know as much as the people who wrote the SQL Storage engine there's virtually no chance you'll get it right (right meaning make mods and have DB usable afterwards)

And I wouldn't be marketing this to any other users. The potential for hosing a database is too high.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• and I'd be the first 1 to never buy this thing... so wasted effort assumin gyou're not trying to cover your tracks with that post.

------

It's strange how the most disturbing and important post of this thread just disappears at the same time that 3rd party app post appears here!

• Ninja's_RGR'us (12/1/2010)

------

It's strange how the most disturbing and important post of this thread just disappears at the same time that 3rd party app post appears here!

Good thing Arjun quoted part of it:

i know there's an ethical problem on what im trying to do, but it already ordered to me by the higher ups, it's not my decision and i already explain to them the ethical problem, so now, my job is to get it done and cover all the tracks at the same time.

Gail Shaw

hello again, i found out that it's better for me to create a 3rd party app to do all this things(modifying system table, view and modifying transaction log.) im planning to release it in public when all are clean.

thanks to all

Coming soon to a software store near you, "Database DeathStar" v. 1.0 - annihilates any database you point it at.

I wouldn't count on seeing it anytime soon. If a person goes to a forum to ask about general, "how-to" approaches, I don't see them writing an app of this complexity.

Infinite, you truly should follow the advice of the experts here and walk away from this situation.

Steve

• SwayneBell (12/1/2010)

"Database DeathStar" v. 1.0 - annihilates any database you point it at.

Lol.. that almost sounds like a movie name. Good one there Steve.

- arjun

https://sqlroadie.com/

• SwayneBell (12/1/2010)

hello again, i found out that it's better for me to create a 3rd party app to do all this things(modifying system table, view and modifying transaction log.) im planning to release it in public when all are clean.

thanks to all

Coming soon to a software store near you, "Database DeathStar" v. 1.0 - annihilates any database you point it at.

I wouldn't count on seeing it anytime soon. If a person goes to a forum to ask about general, "how-to" approaches, I don't see them writing an app of this complexity.

Infinite, you truly should follow the advice of the experts here and walk away from this situation.

Steve

Good one Steve!

Database DeathStar" v. 1.0 - Brought to you by Infinite Error! Attorneys for lawsuits sold separately.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply