Bad Password hash - plausible????

• Is it possible you would end up with a 'bad' password hash during server migration? Like in a recent migration, we were facing a login error with a particular account - and the somebody from the administration staff came back with a RCA that the problem was a "BAD PASSWORD HASH" ..... what does that even mean? aren't password hashes encrypted so one can't make out the good from the bad??????

• what could I have done better (or not done bad) to get more responses??? not sure if this would get any responses .. but if it does, it'll be truly appreciated!!!!

• Thoughts?

• leonp (2/23/2009)

what could I have done better (or not done bad) to get more responses??? not sure if this would get any responses .. but if it does, it'll be truly appreciated!!!!

Some thing that might help:

1) Post to SQL 2005 Security forum instead.

2) Explain what an RCA is.

3) Get the actual error message and number.

Not that you have done anything that is wrong, but this seems like a pretty obscure problem and every little bit can help.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Thanks much .. will create a new post in the security forum and update with the items you pointed ... watch out for this soon.

• Good luck with your question then.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• LeonP, did you manage to post this where you said you'll post? I'm also interested in seeing the causes of this.

What you don't know won't hurt you but what you know will make you plan to know better
  • Yes I did .. with the same title under "SQL 2005 security" ... I did receive a very sensible explaination

• Tx I'll check it.

What you don't know won't hurt you but what you know will make you plan to know better

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply