Bad Eyes

• Kenneth Wymore (7/12/2011)

What about a electric candle? The type that flickers like a candle but is electric? Would that achieve the same effect?

I would bet it works just as well. The point is to look away from your monitor and focus on something at a different depth. The warm glow is a bonus for your eyes (much like what Flux offers).

• I do notice that I get less headaches when I work at home under regular incandescent bulbs or under sunlight than when I work under fluorescent. Not sure why I never put those things together.....

I do notice that I get less headaches when I work at home under regular incandescent bulbs or under sunlight than when I work under fluorescent. Not sure why I never put those things together.....

Tom Hanks said it best in Joe Versus the Volcano. Jump to around 3:40 of this clip if you don't want to watch the entire quitting scene.

What about a electric candle? The type that flickers like a candle but is electric? Would that achieve the same effect?

No; sorry.

• The firemarshal would not be very happy with a real candle where I work

• MiguelSQL (7/12/2011)

The firemarshal would not be very happy with a real candle where I work

Same here. When I went to the office, many things were banned like space heaters, toasters, candles, etc.

Want a toasted bagel? Too bad.

Too cold inside? Oh well.

Lucky I work from home now. My electric bill is more expensive but I make up the difference in gas savings.

• Any suggestions to take better care of your eyes?

Here are some things that I follow to reduce eye strain:

1. Turn off gamma in your LCD monitor. It will be somewhere in the LCD monitor menu. This feature was added to alleviate the complaint that LCD was not as bright as CRT so this feature makes it too bright.

2. Turn on high contrast settings. Right click on your desktop, click personalize, windows color and appearance and choose a high contrast color scheme. I usually go for a black background with green text this is the most pleasing to the eyes. Staring at a white background will give eye strain. Black does not require processing at all because it is a lack of color whereas all other colors require processing both by the eye and the brain. So having black background gives the most rest to both eyes and brain.

3. Disable website fonts and colors and make it use your high contrast settings. For firefox: click tools/options. Content tab. Colors button. Select use system colors. Unselect allow web pages to choose their own colors. Many websites will look weird when you have done that but on the other hand every website will look consistent.

4. In firefox press and hold ctrl and twirl the mouse to make the text larger. You can do this in many other software also. Big text makes for less strain. I am so used to reading e books in big text that nowadays I resent having to read printed books with their small print.

Oh, one thing about LASIK or any eye surgery: your eyes do worsen with age. So the earlier that you have the surgery performed, the longer you can go without further surgery or the need for reading glasses.

Shudder. We have a golden rule in software. When its working don't fix it. I have an inherent fear of modern medicine and I will never go into a hospital voluntarily. There are too many quacks out there who will ruin your body if you give them half a chance and saddle you will a mountain of bills. As far as I am concerned the earlier that you have the surgery performed the earlier your eyes will be ruined. That's rich doing surgery to avoid surgery. Besides I have never worn eyeglasses and will not visit an ophthalmologist until I cant see anything anymore.

Read this satire about unnecessarily tinkering with the human body:

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~thompsoc/Body.html

• Concerning 'auras' or haloes around lights such as car headlights at night. you may want to read up on Billberry. This was discovered by accident when Englsh WW2 pilots could see better at night after eating billberry preserves. I'll post more regarding grape seed capsules.

• Lets look to the inside for some insight.

The retina converts light to electrical signals, and the cerbral cortex gets them to the right place in good shape for interpretation.

I, born with cataracts, never developed that part of the brain due to a lack of strong signals in my early months - yes vision is 'learned' only at that time. No amount of magnification will bring it ot normal.

However, I find less eye fatigue when I take an [font="Arial Black"]expensive[/font] grape seed capsule regularly. Grape seed improves blood flow to the retina, especially important to those with pressure (glaucoma) like my children. 8 years of taking these now, and not one head-ache. My kids and I have no colds or flu since we started, due to its high anti-oxidants. Flora brand is my best experience - taking 4 over a week is good enough. Cheaper drugstore brands do not really work and you have to take a lot. It has other health benefits too, and no harmful side.

You can also read about billberry for better night vision and fewer haloes.

Eye-bright is NOT a vision helper - just a mis-nomer.

• Amazing how many comments people wrote for this one, more than the first time I published it.

I definitely find that contrast matters. I read a lot on the Kindle apps, and I definitely like black backgrounds with white or off white text. Much easier to see for me with less eye strain.

• or do like my office does , we have very uncomfortable seats , so its not possible to sit in front of a monitor long enough to do any damage 😀

Jayanth Kurup[/url]

• rsnyderdba (7/13/2011)

Concerning 'auras' or haloes around lights such as car headlights at night. you may want to read up on Billberry. This was discovered by accident when Englsh WW2 pilots could see better at night after eating billberry preserves. I'll post more regarding grape seed capsules.

i used to eat wolfberries for eyesight. apparently it has some time of property that helps.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/14/2011)

Amazing how many comments people wrote for this one, more than the first time I published it.

Probably more responses because our eyes have worsened in the past 5 years. Post it again in 5 years and see what happens! 😛

• 7 months ago, I had LASIK eye surgery and now I have 20-20 vision. I had what is called "mono-vision" done, which means one eye is corrected for close-up vision and the other for distance. The brain (amazingly) adjusts the two into one clear image. But it does take the brain some time to do this re-wiring, perhaps a few days to a week or two - in the meantime things may look a little off. I had been wearing mono-vision contacts for several years so my brain was already used to it before the eye surgery.

I did see some minor halos around traffic lights at night, but only for a week or two after the surgery.

The most important thing I would recommend is to get the best, most experienced doctor you can find, then carefully follow their instructions for post-surgery eye care. For example, I am still putting in lubricating eye drops several times a day and will do so for another 5 months and perhaps longer. But it's not a big deal considering the benefits.

I can now see everything, near and far, very clearly without any contacts or glasses so obviously I am very satisfied with the results and highly recommend it.

• Probably more responses because our eyes have worsened in the past 5 years. Post it again in 5 years and see what happens! [Tongue]

We won't be able to see to read the article! 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply