backups in sql server 2005

• i know to backup full backup and it is very simple to restore a full backup.

after the full back i had done a differential backup but when i select the restore option from the Management studio and select the no recovery option for diff backup it gives me an error

Restore failed :exclusive access could not be obtained because the database cannot is in use

• As the error message said, the database is in use. Close all connections to this database first (any query windows, applications etc.) before restoring.

Then you need to restore the full database backup first using the NORECOVERY option and after that restore your last diff backup.

Markus

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• Thankyou Markus, it works for me now , how about appling transactional log backup.

should i follow these steps

full backup with no recovery option

diff backup with no recovery option

translog1 backup with no recover option

finally

translog2 backup with recovery option

for now i tried through the GUI in SSMT if i want to do this recovery can i use the query analyser pointing to which db.

• Jai,

Your restore sequence should work as long as translog1 backup and translog2 backup occurred after the differential backup.

For restoring a SQL 2000 database, you can use either SSMS or Query Analyzer.

Greg

Greg

• Close, but don't use recovery with the last log. This will catch you at some point.

full backup with no recovery option

diff backup with no recovery option

translog1 backup with no recover option

translogXX backup with no recovery option

restore database yyy with recovery

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply