backup timing out on log file

• A recently functioning backup script stopped working and started timing out on a log file.

All the files in the database are < 100Mb and the time out is set to 0 so it is running for a very long time and still timing out.

It used to run in minutes so something has happened to cause the backup to freeze.

BACKUP DATABASE @DB TO DISK = @BackupFile

WITH NAME = @Name, DESCRIPTION = @Description ,

MEDIANAME = @MediaName, MEDIADESCRIPTION = @Description ,

STATS = 10

• While it's running check sys.dm_exec_requests and see what it's blocked by (wait type and wait resource). Also check that there isn't another concurrent log backup running.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I checked the activity monitor and it is being suspended with a wait type of MSSEARCH.

So I think the other problem I'm having with my full text not populating is also related.

Is something going wrong with the Indexer preventing backup?

If so how do I rectify this?

• I'm not a full text expert (never even used it), but it does look like a potential cause. Maybe start another thread about your full text problem with a title indicating it's full text-related.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I already have that thread started as I didn't realise it was the index blocking the backup.

Thanks.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply