Backup solution-need suggestions/opinions

• Hi,

We have difference of opinion within the DBA group. One suggests that we need to use the same solution that we use to backup all the servers enterprisewise like Commvault and let it handle sql database backup too. Other group suggests that let the database backup be handled by the people who knows it best like Litespeed or Redgate sql backup or just the native backup. Then Backup the files on tapes using net backup or Commvault.

I have personally used litespeed and SQL backups. I am fully satisfied with both the tools. As far as some other app backing up the databases is concerened, it is a new thing for me but if it is accepted by dbas in the industry, I am open for that too.

Let's say if the both the options cost around the same, which one is preferred? What are the pros and cons from the people who have really used both the solutions rather than reading the software manual?

Thanks,

Shaili

• I am not real familar with the backup software out there, but I have heard horror stories of these backup agents having problems and not being able to do restores. I haven never had a restore from a native backup fail. If you do have large databases that take lots of time and space I would use litespeed or sqlbackup.

• My environment had both the options you had mentioned. I feel more comfortable with SQL Backup software's be it Litespeed or SQL safe. SQL Safe is a bit cheaper and offers same features as Litespeed offers.

Problem with net backup softwares is that some time its a lengthy process to recover the backup for restore. Last week got a request from a user to restore backup from last weekend and when trying to restore it from NetBackup software, Ist we had issues with the image it had created. It gets struck on some point throwing error that a specific page is not readable. Anyway, next day got tapes back from other site and then restored database. It wasted two days. Had it been SQL native backup or from SQL backup software's this could have been done in 20 minutes.

What a waste of time and money on these software. But again, its a company policy to have net backups and have to live with it.

net backups = Veritas here.

SQL DBA.

• I could get into more detail, but a busy at the moment ... quick rundown:

LiteSpeed/Redgate is better because:

- Faster

- Higher compressions

- Encryption

- Historical logging (other apps may offer, not sure - backup/restore history in msdb)

- More abilities with central management (depending on implementation)

- Better notification/error handling (again, depending on implementation)

- DBA has control vs. system/IT admins who generally don't know SQL

-- This is more important in environments where DBA's have to do regular backup/restores throughout the day from one environment to the other. Using LS/RG/Idera will save you a MASS amount of time vs. using native backups

- Automatic setup of TLOG shipping

There are more reasons, but the reality it is, it depends on the environment, the skill set of the individuals involved, and budget.

I think your best approach as of now is to look at a few of the above and determine what you and your company deem important, decide what it is you're attempting to accomplish and take it piece by piece. My personal history in two different DBA roles has taught me that I will always want to control the database backups, no matter what/where.

• I would prefer native sql backup/litespeed/sql backup over any enterprise backup solution.

My reason is simple. I would like to control my database backups. If Commvault or any other software is backing up my database, I am basically at a mercy of my network group/backup person any time I need to do trial restore or restore to Dev/QA environment.

I have done many restores including some critical production ones when the hardware crashed. I never worried whether the restore will succeed or not with native and litespeed backups. Plus if there is any problem with sql backup or Litespeed, I have better support from the vendors as well as dba community.

• Setting up and monitoring tape backups is often pushed to low level techs who do not always understand the critical importance of backups for SQL Servers.

I recently reviewed the staus of a remote site where all backups are done direct to tape. I found out that all databases on about 20 servers had not been backed up for 3 days and some had not been backed up for more than a week.

• I will advice to choose for SQL native backup. I am not impressed by COMMVAULT SQL agent. I use to work with LiteSpeed and it is a lot better than the SQL agent from COMMVAULT.

• As a DBA you will be better off with a single point of reference for histories, errors, restores, etc.

Unless you are the person responsible for ALL backups, use native backup. Don't let your database backups become a small piece of an overall solution. If your backup sets go to disc, then it is important to have your backup sets backed up as well. Work with the persons who configure your network backups to do those backup sets only, and to exclude the data files.

You should save some money this way too.

Tom Garth
    Vertical Solutions[/url]

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
  • I am in the same boat my company and other network group is recommending to use CommValut SQL Agent as they already use it for tape bakcups. How do i convince my company to stay wih Litespeed instead moving to CommValut ?

could some one compare both of them pointing out drawbacks of Commvalut ?

• We backup using the RedGate which we have found to be very efficient for large databases. The native sql backup took too long to complete with certain window restrictions that we have in place.

2 part solution:

1. backup using native sql backup or 3rd party db backup tool (Litespeed, RedGate,..) to a backup drive.

2. They can use their tool to pick up your backup and put it on tape, or whatever they're using to store backups off site.

With this solution they can still have their "tool" and you don't have to worry about them conflicting with your schedule. The DBA is ultimately responsible for for this critiical task. This still gives you control over your backups. You'll definitely want to test the recoverability so randomly select a backup to restore so you can verify that their portion of the backup routine is reliable.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Backup+and+Recovery/66703/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply