Backup software for SQL

• Hello everyone. We have started a project there we should move a lot of servers to another site. Many of the servers are Microsoft SQL server with a lot of databases. The strategy is to move the servers over the LAN to a virtualservers. I think we will have advantages if we can compress the databases before we start copy them over the LAN. My question is if anyone knowing a good software for this operation? We have tried LightSpeed but the costs will be to high för the licenses.

Cind Regard

/Joel

• Do you want to copy the databases, or copy backups of the databases ?  You could ZIP the backup, or detach the db, then zip that. ?

Edit:  Yeah, I forgot about RAR .... That's a good tool

• Take a full backup of each DB - RAR them using winrar or Zip them up and copy them over. Winrar has some good compression options.

• Dependent on the following:

1. database backup file size (or .mdf/.ldf files if you opt for detach/attach)
    2. network speed
    3. number of databases

this and and a little benchmark testing (just 2-3 backups) ....

you may find out that the time needed for the compress/decompress negates the time saved on the network copying compressed files.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Red-Gate's SQL Backup (http://www.red-gate.com/sql/sql_backup.htm) ?

SQL BAK Explorer - read SQL Server backup file details without SQL Server.
    Supports backup files created with SQL Server 2005 up to SQL Server 2017.

• Hi Joel, I am an employee of Quest Software (suppliers of LiteSpeed). I'm disappointed to here that the pricing was prohibitive for you. If you'd like to negotiate to allow you to use the software please contact me by e-mail and we'll discuss further, simon.wolfenden@uk.quest.com.

• Sql Litespeed is a very good tool for SQL Server backups, it compresses the file and is very fast.  Bear in mind  SQL Litespeed's price plan is per cpu on your server.  It can be quite costly if you have an 8 cpu server, we found out the hard way after our company upgraded from 4 to 8, it forced us to pay a heftier price and they do not negotiate!

Jules

Jules Bui
    IT Operations DBA
    Backup and Restore Administrator

• Yes it is a good product. We use it in production on several SQL servers. But in this case, when we should totally move the servers to new hardware it would be to expensive if I have to install LightSpeed on every SQL server I should move. Around 50 SQL servers will be moved to VMWare servers.   

• Hi,

if price is a constraint for you, try the solutions proposed here

http://spaces.msn.com/members/jcarlossaez/Blog/cns!1phQKLZOcIUsN9Tj5QObzgdw!107.entry

I find the third option proposed in the article very useful.

Regards

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply