Backup & Replication / Backup & Logshipping

• Hi All

I have implemented backup plan and transaction replication to the same database.

My question :

If i take full backup , it will take backup of the database and transaction log.

Transaction log backup will truncate the log.

If the log is truncated then how transaction replication works.

I have read the below from BOOKS online

Replication Transactions

The active portion of the log must also contain all transactions marked for replication, but that have not yet been replicated to a subscriber. If these transactions are not replicated in a timely manner, they can also prevent truncation of the log.

So if the database  is replicated then truncating of log checks whether the log is replicated or not.

Please tell me whether my understanding is right or wrong.

2. Please tell me how transaction log works for backup & logshipping.

If i take full backup , it will take backup of the database and transaction log.

Transaction log backup will truncate the log.

If the log is truncated then how logshipping works.

with regards

MeenakshiSundaram

With Regards
    MeenakshiSundaram Lakshmanan

• Dear MeenakshiSundaram Lakshmanan,

1. The full database backup will backup all database, including the log file, but the SQL doesn't work at the same time if the backup proccess is being running, you can trace it by SQL Profiler, so, if you implementing the replication, the replication proccess will wait until the backup proccess has been finished.

2. The truncate option in the SQL it's mean, if the the log file full, SQL will truncate the log file, but, if you do the log shipping on your server the log file it's always move to the new location in your secondary server, so the size of the log file never full if you has been setting the correct option for this.

-Deni-

• Hi Deni

You haven't understood my question.

1. Backup & replication

I haven't told anything like backup and replication happenning at the same time.

Backup of database is happening at different time than the replication.

My question is

if transaction log is truncated then how transaction replication works..

I have given answer for that also..

I need information whether that is right or wrong.

1. How backup & logshipping works?  if full backup truncating the transaction log then how logshipping works

With Regards
    MeenakshiSundaram Lakshmanan

• Hi MeenakshiSundaram Lakshmanan,

The transaction log replication always follow the real condition of your log file, if the log file has been truncating the replication run base on your log file after the truncating proccess.

The backup only keep the database whereever to the tape, disk, etc. But the log shipping work with backup to the media and then restore to the secondary server, so you always have a similiar database in 2 server.

-deni-

• Hi MeenakshiSundaram Lakshmanan,

The trucation of logs depends on different scenario. If the Tr.log is not replicated then that log will not truncate while you take backup.You can also specify to truncate inactive portion of your tr.log.If the tr.log is not replicated that means that is still in active portion of transaction log file.

Hope this will cater your needs.

Regards

Binu John

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply