Backup Problem

• Hello

Our SAN admin runs tape backups using symantec.

Last week errors started to occur on only one database. One server is 1 out of 5, another is 1 out of 50. Always the same database.

The SQL log reads

BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE MyDB. Check the backup application log

Running this code...

select session_id, Text

from sys.dm_exec_requests r

cross apply sys.dm_exec_sql_text(sql_handle) t

Returns...

backup database "MyDB" to VIRTUAL_DEVICE='VNBU0-4388-5376-1359148724' with stats = 10, blocksize = 65536, maxtransfersize = 4194304, buffercount = 2, differential

Now I am reading about adjusting my MemToLeave settings - before doing that - I wanted to post to see if someonce could point me in a direction of other possibilities - or any advice.

Thanks

Dave

• Not enough information to draw any conclusions. What does the backup app log say? Anything useful in the SQL error log?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE MyDB. Check the backup application log

- This basically says 'your backup command failed, go to the application log to find out why?'

Returns...

backup database "MyDB" to VIRTUAL_DEVICE='VNBU0-4388-5376-1359148724' with stats = 10, blocksize = 65536, maxtransfersize = 4194304, buffercount = 2, differential

- All this tells me is that it was you diff that failed not the full, look into the application log at the same time and place that error into the post so we can see what it says.

MCSE SQL Server 2012\2014\2016

• All this tells me is that it was you diff that failed not the full, look into the application log at the same time and place that error into the post so we can see what it says.

When you say "the application log"

Do you mean a log from the symantec backup software?

(Or the windows application log? Or logs in SQL? )

• Look in the windows log application log.

• From command line: eventvwr

Event Viewer | Windows Logs | Application

The error in the application log is the same as the SQL log

General Tab:

BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE MyDB. Check the backup application log for detailed messages

Is there a way to get more detail? The Details tab has binary data.

Thanks

Dave

• Check the 3rd party backup tool's log. That's not a native SQL backup, so whatever is running that backup should have the detailed log (the backup application log)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • do you have the logs from symantec? if the error is still cryptic in the windows logs, sounds like it is, it would be best to turn there. As before stated it looks like the error is pointing to your diff backup, get the logs under that job in symantec first then we can look at the full.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply