Backup jobs in maintenance plans is failing

• Backup jobs are failing in SQL server with below error message. Please suggest.

"Failed to pause full-text catalog for backup. Backup was aborted. Check to make sure Microsoft Full-text Service is running properly and SQL server service have access to full-text service."

M&M

• Some things I would check would be:

1. SQL Server Configuration Manager - is the FullText Search service running properly (set to Automatic and actually running)?

2. In the specific Database properties, under the Files menu there is a checkbox for "Use full-text indexing". If this is checked, I would explore if you actually require or use full text searches, perhaps you can turn this off.

• chrisph (3/30/2010)

Some things I would check would be:

1. SQL Server Configuration Manager - is the FullText Search service running properly (set to Automatic and actually running)?

2. In the specific Database properties, under the Files menu there is a checkbox for "Use full-text indexing". If this is checked, I would explore if you actually require or use full text searches, perhaps you can turn this off.

Regarding step (2), is there any way I could verify if these full text searches are used at all.

M&M

• From this article (http://www.developer.com/db/article.php/3446891/Understanding-SQL-Server-Full-Text-Indexing.htm)

it brings out that these full-text searches are done through T-SQL and use predicates such as: FREETEXT / FREETEXTTABLE / CONTAINS / CONTAINSTABLE

Also whenever you want to do full-text searches on need a manual index created.

Safe to say if you are not doing this you are not using this feature and could probably turn it off.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply