Backup in network drive

• Is that possible to take back using maintenance plan in network drive or ftp server. If possible how to?

Thanks in advance

• Hi, appreciate if someone could give me some ideas on this!

At work, we have a small workgroup - 8 PCs all running Win XP Pro.

We also have a WD My Book network drive, one folder of which is accessible to all PCs, configured as Drive Z.

MY problem is this: I want a solution to allow me an automated daily backup of that Z drive to another similar drive on the network. Or to one of the PCs on the network, doesn't really matter, as long as we can get "Z" backed up regularly.

None of the software I've looked at (Norton Ghost, Acronis, Easus ToDo) seem to allow you to backup FROM a whole network drive, or even to backup specific folders FROM a network drive. They all seem to have no problem backing up TO a network drive!

So, if anyone can point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Search Engine Optimizing | Search Engine Marketing | Social Media Marketing | Pay Per Clicks

• Hi, appreciate if someone could give me some ideas on this!

At work, we have a small workgroup - 8 PCs all running Win XP Pro.

We also have a WD My Book network drive, one folder of which is accessible to all PCs, configured as Drive Z.

MY problem is this: I want a solution to allow me an automated daily backup of that Z drive to another similar drive on the network. Or to one of the PCs on the network, doesn't really matter, as long as we can get "Z" backed up regularly.

None of the software I've looked at (Norton Ghost, Acronis, Easus ToDo) seem to allow you to backup FROM a whole network drive, or even to backup specific folders FROM a network drive. They all seem to have no problem backing up TO a network drive!

So, if anyone can point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Search Engine Optimizing | Search Engine Marketing | Social Media Marketing | Pay Per Clicks

• guruprasadurs (1/24/2012)

Is that possible to take back using maintenance plan in network drive or ftp server. If possible how to?

Thanks in advance

Network drive, certainly. Use a UNC path and make sure your SQL Server service account has permission to write to the folder where you are backing up. Don't know about FTP.

John

• Please go one step further. Use SSIS in place of maintenance plans. IIRC it has backup database tasks (and also others). It will also allow you to FTP the backup files, if you have sufficient permissions.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply