Backup Device Reinitialised in mid procedure, not as specified, no error message

• Hi,

I run a job every half hour to back up the transaction logs for all the user databases on a server; for the past few weeks, an error has been occurring at various times of day and at various points in the backup procedure but rarely more than once a day. At some point, the backup device is apparently reinitialised although the current backup command specifies 'NoINIT'. The log section below illustrates:

Processed 0 pages for database 'HighDoseStudy_NEW', file 'HighDoseStudy_NEW_Log' on file 107. [SQLSTATE 01000]

BACKUP LOG successfully processed 0 pages in 0.008 seconds (0.000 MB/sec). [SQLSTATE 01000]

At 10:30:41:043: Issuing BACKUP LOG [HDSupp_NEW] to TLog1030 with NoInit, SKIP, Name = N'HDSupp_NEW' [SQLSTATE 01000]

Processed 0 pages for database 'HDSupp_NEW', file 'HDSupp_NEW_Log' on file 108. [SQLSTATE 01000]

BACKUP LOG successfully processed 0 pages in 0.008 seconds (0.000 MB/sec). [SQLSTATE 01000]

At 10:30:41:527: Issuing BACKUP LOG [CMFFECNMinus_NEW] to TLog1030 with NoInit, SKIP, Name = N'CMFFECNMinus_NEW' [SQLSTATE 01000]

Processed 0 pages for database 'CMFFECNMinus_NEW', file 'CMFFECNMinus_NEW_Log' on file 109. [SQLSTATE 01000]

At 10:30:43:970: Issuing BACKUP LOG [CMFFECNPlus_NEW] to TLog1030 with NoInit, SKIP, Name = N'CMFFECNPlus_NEW' [SQLSTATE 01000]

Processed 0 pages for database 'CMFFECNPlus_NEW', file 'CMFFECNPlus_NEW_Log' on file 1. [SQLSTATE 01000]

I had similar problems a few months back - but with SQL raising error 3201 - which traced themselves to the antivirus on the server. This time round McAfee is all but exonerated.

Has anyone else seen the like? Or has anyone any ideas as to what might be causing the problem / suggestions for prevfenting it? Losing 109 log backups is fairly disruptive even if sequences were actually broken only for about a dozen

databases.

Cheers

Charles

PS SQL Error log extracts are available but won't fit well on the page; likewise the stored procedure which runs the backups; it didn't seem that helpful to drown the post in circumstantial information unless it was requested.

• It's not something I've run into. Can you post the specific error message, if any?

Is there any chance a different process is also calling the log backup procedure?

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Hiya,

No error message at all, either in output from the proc, SQL Server error log, or Server event logs. Scary! Another process grabbing the device - as was the case with McAfee - seems the most likely but so far I can't spot it. I've double checked the folder is excluded from antivirus scans, checked backup logs, checked SQL Agent and Task Scheduler for simultaneous jobs - but so far nothing.

Cheers

Charles

• This problem cleared; re-enabling the McAfee EPO agent seemed to be the crucial move.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply