BACKUP DATABASE WITH COMPRESSION is not supported on Standard Edition (64-bit).

• I'm getting an error when trying to backup a database on a 64 bit machine. I've previously benn able to do this on another 64 bit machine. What am I doing wrong? Is there some setting I need to change?

BACKUP DATABASE WITH COMPRESSION is not supported on Standard Edition (64-bit).

Here is my query

BACKUP DATABASE CaseLevelData

TO DISK = 'F:\Backup\WednesdayCaseLevelData.bak'

WITH COMPRESSION, INIT,FORMAT,CHECKSUM,STOP_ON_ERROR

• Native compressed backups are only supported with SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Edition. From what I understand, SQL Server 2008 Standard Edition will restore a compressed backup taken on a SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Edition system.

It is possible the other x64 servers you were successful on doing a compressed backup was running either SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Edition, Evaluation Edition, or Developer Edition.

• you dint mention the version of SQL you are using , i am assuming that this is 2008

• I looked at the properties and I am actually using Std Ed. On that server. Doh!

• Just come across this issue - why offer the option in the drop down if it isn't available on the edition you using :angry:

• dave.sexton (5/24/2012)

Just come across this issue - why offer the option in the drop down if it isn't available on the edition you using :angry:

Because management Studio doesn't have an edition, only the server does. I can use Management Studio from SQL Express to connect to Enterprise Edition and I'd sure like to see the compression option.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply