Backup Database using Maintanence Plan

• Hi

Is it possible to take full backup of two databases on different schedules

by creating only one maintanence plan

Let me Explain the scenario

I have Two DB , DB1 And DB2

I want to create a Maintanence plan that take full backup of DB1 on every Sunday and full backup of DB2 on everyday.

This is the question that is asked by interviewer

Thanks & Regards

Ghanshyam Gupta

• gupta1282 (9/21/2009)

Hi

Is it possible to take full backup of two databases on different schedules

by creating only one maintanence plan

Let me Explain the scenario

I have Two DB , DB1 And DB2

I want to create a Maintanence plan that take full backup of DB1 on every Sunday and full backup of DB2 on everyday.

This is the question that is asked by interviewer

Thanks & Regards

Ghanshyam Gupta

Tricky question. I am using sql 2008, if you use the wizard, you can specify different schedules for sub tasks, so you could do a full backup and differential on different days. but you can only specify one schedule for each task. so in that way you cannot have different schedules for full backups.

BUT. you can modify the maintenance plan after you have created it and add in another backup task for a different schedule.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• you could create one plan to run a DB2 backup daily with conditional logic in the T-SQL backup code to run a DB1 backup if the day is Sunday

• I'd use SteveB's suggestion. Add a T-SQL task, calculate a date, branch based on the result.

• Using SQL Server maintenance plans, you have several options:

1) Create separate sub-plans for each database. Each sub-plan can be scheduled separately.

2) Use conditional logic on your dependencies and only perform the backup for DB1 if it is Sunday.

3) Use Execute T-SQL Task and manually code the backup

4) Other options...

My preference for this kind of request would be separate sub-plans because they are a lot easier to manage.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply