Backup Database Task (Maintenance Plan) file name question

• I recently upgraded to SQL 2008 from SQL 2005 on my backup production machine (primarily used for testing). I use a maintenance plan to create my backups. Under 2005 the file name that was created was the database name with "_backup_datetime.bak" appended. For example:

TestDB_backup_201005260400.bak

After the upgrade I'm getting filenames similiar to the following:

TestDB_backup_2010_06_09_040006_8466528.bak

As you can see there is a considerable difference in the file names. Does anyone know how to get it to use the old file name?

The reason (if you curios) is I use scripts the move and restore the database from production to the test machine and need to know the actual file name to execute the restore operation. While I'm sure I can write a script to determine the file name from the OS it was much easier when I KNEW what the file name would be since the DB backed up every day at the same time (we are not talking about huge databases here, so 99% of the time I knew what the file name, down to the minute, would be).

Thanks,

James.

• I found the solution in another post: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic506723-357-1.aspx

Here is my implementation -

declare @FileName_ varchar(100)

declare @RestoreFile_ varchar(200)

declare @Path_ varchar(1000)

Set @Path_ = 'D:\Backups\DB_Backups\Dev15\Production'

declare @t_ table (subdirectory_ varchar(500),depth_ int,file_ int) --columns match output from xp_dirtree

insert into @t_ EXECUTE xp_dirtree @Path_, 1, 1 --NOTE: xp_dirtree is an undocumented proc

--File_ = 1 (true) = 0 (false), 0 = non-file like a directory name

delete from @t_ where depth_ <> 1 or file_ <> 1 or subdirectory_ not like 'mydbname_backup%'

select @filename_ = max(subdirectory_) from @t_

print 'Backup File Name = ' + @filename_

set @RestoreFile_ = '' + @Path_ + '\' + @FileName_ + ''

RESTORE FILELISTONLY FROM

DISK= @RestoreFile_;

ALTER DATABASE mydbname SET SINGLE_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE

RESTORE DATABASE mydbname

FROM DISK = @RestoreFile_

WITH REPLACE,

MOVE 'mydbname_Dat01' TO 'D:\SQLData\mydbname_Dat01.mdf',

MOVE 'mydbname_Log01' TO 'D:\SQLData\mydbname_Log01.ldf',

MOVE 'ftrow_mydbname_FTCatalog_' TO 'D:\SQLData\FullTextCatalogs\mydbname_FTCatalog_',

RECOVERY;

--EXEC sp_dboption 'DISAM_Internal', 'read only', 'true'

ALTER DATABASE mydbname SET RECOVERY SIMPLE, MULTI_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply