Backup and Restore on Replicated Database

• Hi..We have set up transactional replication on SQL08 Server for testing. Now I want to restore a Latest production backup to that database. Can I restore the database directly?? Does that affect replication?? any settings have to be changed??

Please give me some information on this...

Thanks a lot..

• Hi,

So...we already have Transactional Replication enabled on this database and on top of that we want to restore a fresh Backup of Database.......? What is the need of that? Isn't that Replication is copying data to the respective tables?

I have not came across any such scenario where someone tried this.

I must say this should definately break the replication because when we will restore fresh DB backup then the LSN's of this will be different from what are generated after changes getting applied from replication.

I will not suggest you to do it as you never know what will break. Ideal scenario is to break replication and restore is and then reset replication but million dollar question is DO WE NEED TO DO IT REGULARLY? If yes then I must say you should not use Replication.

Regards

GURSETHI

• Not sure this is the ideal way, but there safest in our company is...

- Remove replication on the DB you want to restore and on the subscribers.

- Restore the DB (do not tick preserve repl settings).

- Create the Replication on the publisher and all subscribers.

We are using p2p and it works a treat, but we are only replicating to 2 additional server so this isnt a major task

JL

• Thanks to both of you...

@GURSETHI -- This is not regular, just 1 time task. We are bringing a new server to our production servers and we just created a test replication between the 2 new servers. now we will migrate our old 2000 server to 2008.

@sql_lock -- Thanks a lot for the information. That is very helpful...

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply