Backup and Recovery w/ Merge Relp

• I just got off the phone with a client, and he wanted to know if we knew anything about setting up disaster recovery procedures for SQL Server. In particular, he is interested in how to restore a SQL server that is running merge replication and restoring data as well as the replication subscriptions. Apparently they did some initial research on their end and found a white paper from Microsoft that says you can't do disaster recovery when using replication. Is this true? Also, as an FYI, they are currently using a product called Arc soft for backing up their SQL database.

Also, if you can point me to, or share, any documentation that would be great. Thx.

kallebach

Kurt Allebach

• I don't agree with the whitepaper. Mike Hotek used to have an article on his site http://www.mssqlserver.com which described exactly this case. Unfortunately it seems the article is no longer available.

Anyhow I just had a case last month where the publisher crashed and we had to reinstall SQL. AFter reinstalling I restored the last backup of the published database, started the merge agent using the -validate 3 switch and without problems all changes from the subscribers got synchronized.

The advantage of merge replication is that by default it works both ways, so in case of disaster users can switch to the backup server and as soon as the primary server is back online changes will be synchronised again.

M

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply